Reload this Page >

First Trip to China

Search

First Trip to China

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Varda

First Trip to China

I have spent all day reading all the great info posted on this board. Need confirmation that the trip I am planning for my husband and I (on our own-no tour operator), is the way to go. <BR> <BR>It will be the first 2 weeks of September 2003 (don't laugh) which might be a little cooler: <BR> <BR>4 days in HK <BR>4 days in Shanghai <BR>7 days in Beijing <BR>2 days in Xi'an <BR>1 day back in HK <BR>2 days in Macau <BR>1 day back in HK <BR> <BR>Will fly to each city. Would appreciate your comments and expertise. Thank you. <BR>Varda <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Meg

Sounds like a great plan! I like the idea of starting and ending up in HK.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Andrea

Nothing wrong with planning in advance! <BR> <BR>I think that with the luxury of so much time, you may want to try to squeeze in another destination in China, like Guilin, or even Tibet, depending on your interests. In my opinion, you could very easily take one day each off of Shanghai, Beijing, and Hong Kong, leaving you time for a good excursion. <BR> <BR>September will be a great time to come. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 03:21 AM
Barbera

Dont kno wmuch about other destinations, but I can confirm that HK is the most incredible place on this earth! There is much to see and do. I have only been out on business but managed to put some effort into enjoying myself. There are loads of bars and restaurents and they are really not the expensive - bit more than UK perhaps, but if you went "Chinese" then perhaps less expensive. Kowloon has some great shopping and attractions. Some really posh hotels as well. I have stayed in the Hong Kong Hotels which is fab. you must go up the peak and to Lantau Island, trouble is you feel so much the tourist! A trip to China (Shenzen) is available but it is a bit of a shit hole! Very industrialised. Hong Kong Island has fabulous nightlife (24hrs a day 7 days a week)and there are several good places to visit. Like I said the peak, Aberdeen, Stanley, the floating restaurent etc etc. Have been over to Macau side and it is very pretty. Still it's more chinese but not as mad as Shenzen, a bit more relaxed. anyway have a good trip!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 05:25 AM
kang

HK and Macau are both beautiful and very enjoyable. They are also highly westernize cities which become part of China only in recent years. Therefore, they are very different from the mainland and what you see in those places is not typical "China experience". <BR> <BR>I agree with one of the previous post that you may want to take some days off from your current itinerary to explore other places. Here is my suggession: <BR> <BR>Take 2 days off of HK. <BR>Take 1 day off of Shanghai(assuming you are going to Suzhou as well, otherwise, take 2 days off of Shanghai). <BR>Take 2 days off of Beijing. <BR>Fly to Macau directly from Xi'an. <BR> <BR>You can save 6 to 7 days for other adventures. The choices are unlimited and very rewarding. Visiting Tibet is certainly a good idea. <BR> <BR>Besides, early September is still very hot and humid in HK and Macau.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 07:19 AM
CoolWiz

You need at least 3-4 days in Xi'an. 1 day for the old walled city, 2nd day for the Terracotta Warriors, Qin Emperor tomb, Hua Qin Chi (Hot Spring). 3rd day for Tang Emperor, Prince, Princess tombs, Gateway Temple, etc. These are full days and you need a 4th day for shopping, rest, etc. <BR> <BR>You can shave 2 days from Beijing and 1-2 days from Shanghai. <BR> <BR>Just came back from a historical trip to Xi'an in Shaanxi province, China. <BR> <BR>Xi'an is one of the 4 ancient capitals of the world that still stands. It is home to the life-size army of Terracotta Warriors discovered from the Qin Emperor Tomb, the Great Mosque, Great Goose Pagoda, Small Goose Pagoda, Drum Tower... <BR> <BR>At the Xi'an Qin Dynasty Terracotta Museum, you can view the awesome 6,000 life-size clay soldiers standing in military formation. Each face was carefully sculpted with a unique facial expression and include the smallest details. <BR> <BR>Although there is a sign saying picture taking is forbidden, lucky for me the guards on duty were oblivious to tourists using still and video cameras. <BR> <BR>Pix of Xi'an and the Terracotta Warriors are posted at: <BR> http://members3.clubphoto.com/cool270985/ <BR> <BR>Enjoy.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 08:21 AM
Varda

You guys are amazing, thank you so much for your input. I will follow your advice in shaving off some days to see more (tibet sound so exciting), and flying directly to Macau from Xi'an (was not sure there was a direct flight from there). <BR> <BR>I am french, Bobby is american and <BR>I figure it would take me at least 2 years to learn a little bit of chinese. With this in mind would you say we will be fine without a tour operator? We are used to travelling but only in Europe and Africa. <BR> <BR>thanks again. <BR>Varda <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 07:12 PM
kang

I am very positive there are direct flights between Beijing, Shanghai and Macau. I'd be very surprised if they don't have flights from Xi'an to Macau. <BR> <BR>You don't really need a tour operator to make reservations or do other arrangements for you. However, you do need English speaking tour guide when you are touring some culturally rich places so you can gain the most from your visit. Whenever you need assistance, locally or nationwide, there will always be many tour guides, travel agencies ready and eager to provide their services.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 08:40 PM
andrew

Agree that you do not need a tour operator ... however, if you sue a tour operator, you will save alot of money and get better quality accomodations due to their purchasing power and relationships with the vendors.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 08:16 AM
Varda

Will most certainly use english speaking tour guides for the cultural visits. We will probably end up pay more because we are not travelling with a tour , but we love discovering by ourselves and at our own pace. <BR> <BR>Looking for hotel accommodations under $150 a night. There are so many online to chose from, was wondering if you guys had any recommendations? <BR> <BR>varda <BR> <BR>