Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

First time traveling to Asia, what should I know?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2024, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there! I'm in the process of planning a trip to Thailand and I'm hoping you can help me out. I want to make sure I'm being respectful of the local culture and not causing any unintentional offense. As an American, I know there can be some cultural differences that I should be aware of. Can you provide me with any tips or advice on how to be a thoughtful and considerate traveler while I'm there? I appreciate any support you can give me!
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 10:45 AM

some of this may sound like a cliche, but rather than on the don'ts (of course don't be rude, impatient, or aggressive), focus on the dos: listen, learn and be nice to people. That's what people in Thailand (and the rest of Asia) value the most. Follow these simple rules, you will have an amazing time.
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 05:03 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
A good guidebook will have a section devoted to local customs, probably more comprehensive than you'll get here. I like Lonely Planet for practicalities & their 'Thailand' is fat & packed with information. It's one I buy from time to time for the updates & haven't found any I like better in my decades of travel. Your local library probably has a copy if you don't want to buy it or to have a look to see if you'd like to have it, print or digital.

Old Apr 14th, 2024, 05:48 PM

Basically, just treat people as you would expect to be treated
  • Remove your shoes when entering a Thai home and especially a temple.
  • Dress appropriately for your location e.g. swimwear is for the beach not bars and restaurants. The fact that you will see many people dress inappropriately does not mean that Thais dont find it very offensive
  • Don't step on door thresholds - the spirited of dead ancestors live there apparently
  • Don't attempt the Wai greeting (a sort of praying gesture accompanied by a bow - easy to cause offence if you get it wrong (which most people do!). There are rules on how far to bow, raise your hands based upon age and social status
  • Respect monks and do not touch them (for a woman to touch a monk is an especially big no no)
  • Ask permission before taking photos of people (especially older people)
  • Do not touch people on their heads.
  • Don't raise your voice - ever
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 06:39 PM

When visiting temples, it is nice to chat with young monks. Some of them have told me that they like to practice their English, so it is nice to chat with them about their siblings, your siblings, local foods, or any other innocuous topic. Also, they typically miss their families, so it is thoughtful to spend a little time with them.
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 01:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Wear shoes that slip on and off easily as you will need to remove them in temples.
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 03:48 AM

if you come asia for the first time for roaming in asia then my tips will help you out
Research beforehand
Learn basic phrases in the local language
Pack appropriately
Stay connected
Get travel insurance
Learn about the culture
Practice caution
Enjoy local food
Respect local customs
Embrace spontaneity
so keyy in mind this things
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 08:13 AM

For some depth there is a good book series "Culture Shock!" which publishes volumes various countries, such as "Culture Shock! Thailand". Check if available in your local library or on line (even used it won't be that outdated)