Feb in Thailand....first time...help!

Jan 25th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Feb in Thailand....first time...help!

Planning a first time trip to Thailand on Feb 2nd till Feb 21st and am trying to figure out an itinerary:

I have not booked anything as of yet, because Im not really sure what day I am arriving. I am a flight attendant and it depends on what flight I can get on as an employee, stand by.
Traveling with my husband, and our budget is on the lower to mid range since we will be in the area for about three weeks.
I have listed dates below as a reference only. Not really sure how much time in each area is a good amount or too much. So I am really flexible. We are waiting to book the first couple of hotels till we know when we will be arriving.

feb 1 ord - nrt - bkk

feb 2 arrive in BKK @ 11:45pm, Sinsuvarn Airport hotel $18 a night, free airport transportation.

feb 3 Bangkok during the day, purchase tickets on the night bus to Phuket.

feb 4 - 6 Phuket
day trip to Ao Phrang Nga
possibly Khao Phra Taeo National Park

feb 6 ferry from Phuket to Krabi or to Railay beach

feb 6 - 11 Krabi area
we found a reasonable rate at Anyavee Railay Resort for $58 a night, I know its on the east side which is not as desirable as the west, but from what I have read it is only a 10-15 min walk to the nicer beach. Would this be a good base camp for the week?

Here are some of the things I have written down that I might like to check out.

-Trip to Koh Phi Phi, do I need to stay the night or is day trip enough? If so can I book lodging last minute walk up?
-sea kayaking
-4 island tour to Koh Poda, Koh Gai, Ko Tub, Phra Nang Bay
- day trip to the Hong Islands
-would like to check out a National Park, possibly Khao Pra Bang Khram for hiking, emerald pool and Klong Thom for natural hot springs.

feb 11-14 bus from Krabi to Surat Thani, Boat from Donsak pier to Koh Samui,
stay near Chawaeng beach

feb 15 overnight train from Surat thani to Bangkok

feb 16- thinking about checking out the Kanchanburi area for a couple of days or would Chiang Mai be a better bet for 3 days?

Back to Bangkok for 3 or so days to tour Temples, etc and do some shopping at the end.
fly home on a monday or tuesday...hopefully.

any tips would be appreciated. I have been reading up a bunch on all of your trips and it is helping a great deal!
Jan 25th, 2011, 10:02 AM

A few thoughts here. The places you list are almost all beaches. Is that what you want from this trip? Get yourself a good guidebook and figure out what interests you about Thailand.

Also, you are thinking about taking buses and trains. There are very inexpensive airlines (Air Asia in particular) you can choose that won't cost you more than buses or trains but also won't take up as much of your time.
Jan 25th, 2011, 10:44 AM

How exciting for you! First trip to Thailand. It's so easy to do on a budget.

A suggestion for Samui. A friend is co-owner of a basic resort on Chaweng Beach, called Seascape Resort. It is located next door to the much more expensive Poppies Resort. The resort is located on the beach, and it does have a few beachside bungalows (basic) that are reasonable. Breakfast is at the outside dining facility, and is free with the room. I have stayed there a couple of times now, and it's really fine. Clean. Basic.

As far as Bangkok vs beaches, I understand the attraction of the beaches in Thailand. You'll see geologic features that you won't find other places. But I also love love love spending time in Bangkok (my favorite city). I love the shopping in the markets there. Plus, places like MBK and Platinum Mall offer shopping experiences you won't have in Chicago!!

I have not been to Kanchanburi so cannot really compare it to Chiang Mai. I always do enjoy Chiang Mai, and I manage a day trip there (flying from BKK) every trip I take to Thailand. I have spent several days there and never get bored!

I'm glad you mentioned Krabi. I really like it there... I stayed in Ao Nang. It's not quite as touristy as some of the other major beach areas. The local people do not have to rely on tourism to make their living. Their economy depends on more agricultural products. Anyway, I love Krabi. And Railay looks really nice. I've been to Phuket numerous times, Samui as well. Each has its own pluses.

Do have a great time on your trip. I just left BKK 3 weeks ago, and will be returning in April. Can't wait!

Carol
Jan 25th, 2011, 12:11 PM

bag kanchaburi---boring and a long ride...

fly as kathie suggests...

beware of very cheap hotels...

do you have any starwood points?? if so they offer great d3eals with cash and points in thailand...

look at serviced apartments in bkk... centre point, ascott...marriott... fantastic and under $100 incl breakfast..

why so many different beaches?? wastes to much time moving around
Jan 27th, 2011, 05:20 PM

Even though all the islands/beaches retain their own unique character and personality, however, IMO if you see one you’ve seen them all. I didn’t go to Phuket/islands until my third visit to Thailand and Chiang Mai/north until my fourth. I totally agree with the other posters … Thailand is amazing but Bangkok is its jewel. I don’t know about your hometown but probably you’re sick and tired of big cities … let me assure you; Bangkok is different in a surprisingly pleasant way especially for the first time visitor.

“Bangkok is a city that really is larger than life. For some, the frenetic pace, heat, traffic and lack of personal space can be overpowering; for many others, the sheer dynamism is intoxicating.

A curious blend of the traditional East with the modern West, Bangkok's every street has a surprise in store for the visitor. Ramshackle buildings crouch next to exotic temples surrounded by delightful gardens, which are in turn overlooked by modern hotels and offices.

The chaos on the roads is mirrored by the busy traffic on the Chao Phraya River, which dissects the city and is regularly crisscrossed by long-tailed boats, river taxis and small rowboats, all miraculously missing each other.

But traditional Thai life is never very far away. Weaving among the traffic in the morning rush hour, saffron-robed monks can still be seen collecting alms, while just moments from the city center whole communities live in stilt houses by the river, eking out a living using skills that have not changed in centuries.”

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/...7625088840340/
Jan 27th, 2011, 05:50 PM

I found Chiang Mai to be amazing. We started there for 4 days and ended up staying 8. The Sunday night walking market was the best shopping in our trip and it was super memorable.
It is much more authentic Thai than the southern Islands.
That being said, we love the two weeks we spent in Koh Samui. Great beach!! We stayed at the Saraan Hotel (booked through Agoda as we did a lot of our hotels in the 10 weeks) We loved The Saraan. One tip about Koh Samui-Bophut Beach has nice restaurants but terrible beach so do not stay there.