Embarking on 10 week SE Asia trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2023, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I, early 60's embarking on a 10-week SE Asia Itinerary as follows: Bangkok 6 days, Chiang Rai 3, Chiang Mai 6, Siem Reap 4, Phuket 7, Koh Phi Phi 3, Koh Lanta 4, Koh Lipe 5, Langkawi 4, Kuala Lumpur 4, Ubud 5, Amed 3, Sanur 4, Nusa Dua 2, Singapore 4. I have already booked all flights and lodging though all lodging can be cancelled until a short time beforehand. Arriving BKK from Florida January 16. My itinerary is mostly locked in as all flights are booked but appreciate any firsthand advice for things not to be missed that I may not have seen in normal internet research. Actually, any insight from those that have done this is appreciated. I hope to post a trip report when returning in late March. I am aware of the backtrack from Bali to Singapore but that was best for a return flight using award points and what was available. All lodging and flights to and from Asia were booked using points.

Last edited by dale1122; Dec 9th, 2023 at 08:07 AM.
Old Dec 10th, 2023, 02:43 AM

Difficult to know what to suggest without knowing what you have already planned to do from your research so far.

My first thought is that your are visiting a LOT of Thai beaches - I would probably cut one or two ad do less moving about. Phi Phi I would omit - very touristy!

In Chiang Rai I would make sure to visit The Black House and White Temple and, if there on a Saturday the "walking market" is much more interesting that the equivalent night markets in Chiang Mai.

You have a lot of time in Chiang Mai so I would consider renting a car and spend 3/4 nights driving the Mai Hong Sorn Loop" or maybe consider a side trip to Chiang Dao.

Siem Reap is clearly all about Angkor Wat. You will get the 3 day pass to visit the complex but I would also try and fit in a trip to one of the less touristed areas of Tonle Sap. Choosing the right guide can make a huge difference to your experience. I would research that via Tripadvisor or your accommodation in SR. Basically you can go cheap and hire a tuk tuk plus driver who will take you to all the right places at the right times or a fully qualified official guide with a car and driver. We have done it both ways and prefer the former. The official guides tend to have a set script and always seem to feel the need to communicate every singe word which can be extremely tedious after the first few hours!

Langkawi is really all about the beaches and the resort where you are staying. There are island hopping tours which are quite nice and, if into all things ecology related the mangrove tours are very interesting.

For me at least KL is all about the food so do make sure to head out to places like Jalan Alor, Petalang Street, Little India etc for some of the most diverse food in Asia. Best views of the Petronas Towers are from the bar of Traders Hotel at sunset (free drinks for ladies on a Wednesday !)

Old Dec 10th, 2023, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much, exactly the type of reply I was hoping for.
Old Dec 10th, 2023, 05:46 PM

What are your Bali dates? Around mid March? March 11 will be Nyepi, the day of silence, in which no one is allowed to leave their home or resort compound. Also forbidden are cars, motorcycles, cooking, anything electric or digital (though the resorts are granted leeway on wifi, electricity and serving meals). The night before Nyepi Day there are large and small processions all over Bali in which locals parade huge monster effigies through the streets. It’s a very special time to be in Bali!

Ubud can refer to both the town and the surrounding area. I’m not a big fan of Ubud town as it can get highly congested. If you can, spend a few days north of Ubud in the countryside.
Some ideas in the Ubud area:
Champuan Ridge walk
Setia Darma House of Masks and Puppets
Any dance performance (The Ubud Palace troupes are always good. Also the Kecak dance in Junjungan village. Your resort will have a schedule)
Bali Bird Walks
Balinese cooking class
Primo Chocolate Lab (between Ubud and the west coast)
Threads of Life Artisan Textiles shop

Most importantly, try to limit your car time. After a while looking out the window at splendid scenery can be stultifying. To me, walking around the countryside early in the morning or late afternoon is the best way to experience Bali.

After Thailand I think you may be disappointed in the Sanur and Nusa Dua beaches. Personally, I prefer the west coast ocean for big waves and glorious sunsets, but for sure some areas can get raucous. You might consider subbing a few days in Lombok instead.
Old Dec 10th, 2023, 10:49 PM

Looks like you've really got some amazing spots lined up. I'm wondering though - have you considered splitting up some of your longer beach stays, like alternating islands in Thailand? That way you don't get beach burnout.

Also, thanks for the NYepi tip Marmot - that's definitely something unique to experience in Bali.

Old Dec 11th, 2023, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Marmot and hewholovestravel, appreciate your ideas and we will be in Sanur at the Hyatt Regency for Nyepi.

Last edited by dale1122; Dec 11th, 2023 at 02:37 AM.
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 07:21 PM

Your upcoming trip sounds wonderful!

I noticed that you have quite a few beach locations, but if that's what you like then so be it. In the over 20 years of going to the region, I usually haven't booked beach locations. I guess it's due to having plenty of beaches here in L.A. and also along the rest of the coast. Plus, I feel that a lot of the times that beach resort locations separate tourists from locals.

My best friend started going to Bali in the mid-1990s, a few years before I went, and booked different types of hotels while on Bali. She had a beach resort one, on her first trip, but felt a bit isolated from Balinese. But, at one of her other selected hotels, she really loved it and went back to the same one for some years. She would take off solo for some R&R and her husband would stay home with their then child. Some years later, I had friends who were in the travel industry, and who were going to go to Bali and some other places in the region for their honeymoon. So, I suggested my friend's hotel and that's where they decided to stay.

As for Thailand, I'm a Bangkok person, but have also been to Chiangmai, really nice, which was on my first trip to the region. I've also been to some other areas in Thailand, but have never been to the beach cities. I usually spend 3 weeks in Bangkok before moving on to other countries in the region. But, in the beginning years, after the first trip to the region, I started staying in Bangkok for 1-2 weeks and depending on my vacation schedule, would also throw in some days in another country in the region.

Don't worry about back tracking. I also backtracked on my first trip to the region in the late 90s. I flew from L.A. to Singapore, slept some hours, and then flew on to Bali. I had an open-air type of ticket on Singapore Air, so I wasn't locked into anything and they didn't charge me for spur-of-the-moment flight changes within the region. I travel as a solo female and never know if I will stay in one place as long as planned. I like flexible flight options within the region if possible.

As for Malaysia, I first went in 2001 (KL) and stayed at the Ritz Carlton Hotel which cost a little less than $50 a night then and a friend and I were upgraded to a private floor due to me having a credit card from a certain credit card company. I was last in Kl in January 2019, I think it was and in Penang in Jan 2020. I flew home to L.A. from Singapore in Feb 2020, after a 2-week stay at my regular hotel in Singapore. I am quite fond of Singapore. I like to end my long stay there to wind down before flying home to L.A. via Narita, Japan. Plus, Changi Airport is wonderful and totally stress free. While in Singapore, you should take the MRT out to Changi Airport to just check it out as there's a lot to do there even if one is not flying into or out of it. It has really grown over the last two and a half decades and it was interesting to see the changes over the decades.

* I fly Singapore Air the most although in the beginning years flew Thai Air as it was really inexpensive out of L.A., like around $550 round trip due to L.A. having the largest number of Thais living outside of Thailand. So, folks were flying back and forth regularly. But, in 2001, I was also able to fly round trip from L.A. to Singapore for $550 on Singapore Air as a friend came with me for a week, so that we could shop for interior design home items for her new residence. We did Singapore and KL for shopping and then home and back to work the next day. We were in the region for 7 nights.

As for Malaysia, my personal favorite is Penang in the north which is where I go to rest up after 3 weeks in Bangkok. But, I've been to KL quite a few times due to my former Airbnb hosts living in a city about 45 minutes outside of KL. We've been friends for 9 years now. They used to own a studio apartment in KL which they would either rent out, Airbnb out, or stay at if they had business to attend to in KL. KL traffic is gridlock. While staying at their studio, one day the husband and one of the kids picked me up and drove me around for 12 hours to show me parts of Malaysia. It was great fun. We still laugh about it as we were just on e-mail this week.

There are a lot of really nice people in the region in general. When I'm in Malaysia, I sometimes will fly from Penang to KL and stay at a hotel and then the Malaysian friends will drive to KL to meet up with me or they will drive the nearly 4-hour drive from KL to Penang to visit me for a few days if I don't feel like flying to KL after Penang, but prefer to fly straight to Singapore from Penang. But, at the end of Jan 2020, the husband flew from KL to Singapore to visit me for a day and then flew home to KL later that same day. His wife was at work out of the country, so we talked to her by phone while we were in Singapore.

As for Bali, I had planned to stay on Bali for over a week, but stayed around 4 nights in Ubud and then called Singapore Air to fly me back to Singapore for a few days and then flew from there to Chiangmai. I felt that I had done all that I needed to personally do and see on Bali and wanted to move on. I'm really glad that I experienced Bali, but it didn't have the same effect on me as it had on my best friend who loved it and for years. We're all different.

As for Indonesia, I was more fond of Jakarta than Bali as I flew from Singapore to Jakarta for a few nights back on the 2018/2019 trip, I think it was. I had my hotel in Singapore hold my luggage as I didn't want to drag it all to Jakarta. Plus, after Jakarta, I was flying back to Singapore and back to the same hotel that's both in Singapore city and Jakarta. The staff at my hotel in Singapore knew where I was off to and when I was coming back to their hotel. When I arrived back to their hotel, they had sent my luggage from storage up to my new room. Easy. I just walked into the hotel and rechecked in and then went to my new room where my luggage was waiting.

*As for Thailand, Chiangmai was my entry into Thailand, from a non-stop flight from Singapore. I ended my trip in Bangkok and flew home to L.A. from there. On that first trip, I was two weeks in the region as I had to get back to work.

* I think it would have been nice had you selected two different places in Indonesia to visit. Bali is Hindu and basically the rest of Indonesia is Muslim. Two very interesting cultures.

As for Cambodia, I haven't gotten there yet.

I'm sure you will have an absolutely wonderful time, will meet a lot of great people, and eat a lot of really excellent food. And I look forward to the trip report as to how it all went. Smiles.

Happy Travels!
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by dale1122
My wife and I, early 60's embarking on a 10-week SE Asia Itinerary as follows: Bangkok 6 days, Chiang Rai 3, Chiang Mai 6, Siem Reap 4, Phuket 7, Koh Phi Phi 3, Koh Lanta 4, Koh Lipe 5, Langkawi 4, Kuala Lumpur 4, Ubud 5, Amed 3, Sanur 4, Nusa Dua 2, Singapore 4. I have already booked all flights and lodging though all lodging can be cancelled until a short time beforehand. Arriving BKK from Florida January 16. My itinerary is mostly locked in as all flights are booked but appreciate any firsthand advice for things not to be missed that I may not have seen in normal internet research. Actually, any insight from those that have done this is appreciated. I hope to post a trip report when returning in late March. I am aware of the backtrack from Bali to Singapore but that was best for a return flight using award points and what was available. All lodging and flights to and from Asia were booked using points.
Because of your endless beach vacations (30 000-km roundtrip flight to sit on a beach ????) you miss the most stunning country in Southeast Asia, VIETNAM

And what the hell are you going to do for 6 days in boring Chiang rai ????
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Larsay
Because of your endless beach vacations (30 000-km roundtrip flight to sit on a beach ????) you miss the most stunning country in Southeast Asia, VIETNAM

And what the hell are you going to do for 6 days in boring Chiang rai ????
Hi Larsay, thanks so much for your input. I think my post is clear that I have 3 days in Chiang Rai not 6. In addition, I actually live on the beach in Florida, and we rarely ever actually sit on the beach. We do love diving and snorkeling and that's the reason you find "endless beach vacations" in our itinerary. I do agree that Vietnam looks stunning, and we hope to come back to SE Asia to visit Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia again in a couple years.
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by dale1122
Hi Larsay, thanks so much for your input. I think my post is clear that I have 3 days in Chiang Rai not 6. In addition, I actually live on the beach in Florida, and we rarely ever actually sit on the beach. We do love diving and snorkeling and that's the reason you find "endless beach vacations" in our itinerary. I do agree that Vietnam looks stunning, and we hope to come back to SE Asia to visit Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia again in a couple years.
Then, it's OK. When in Chiang Mai, go to the very charming town of PAI
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 11:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Agree with Crellston's comments "In Chiang Rai I would make sure to visit The Black House and White Temple and, if there on a Saturday the "walking market" is much more interesting that the equivalent night markets in Chiang Mai.

You have a lot of time in Chiang Mai so I would consider renting a car and spend 3/4 nights driving the Mai Hong Son Loop" or maybe consider a side trip to Chiang Dao.

Have fun!
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 11:03 PM

I second yestravel’s suggestion of driving the Mai Hong Sorn loop. You can do it in 3 days (4 would be better) with overnight stops in Soppong, Mai Hong Sorn, Mai Sariang and returning via Doi Inthanon NP (the only place in Thailand I have ever been cold!) . Pai is sometimes on the loop but, is now overrun with partying backpackers and best avoided. The scenery along the way is some of the best in Thailand and there are some wonderful and inexpensive places to stay along the way.

Chiang Dao is closer to CM and a couple of nights there would also be great. Chiang Dao Nest is a great place to stay. They operate various tours and activities from there.
Old Dec 23rd, 2023, 01:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the suggestions.