Search

Early November, Water Bungalows, Excellend Medical Facilities

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early November, Water Bungalows, Excellend Medical Facilities

Can anyone help me identify countries/ resorts that offer the following:

* Early to mid-November visit (for probably a fortnight) so climate good at that time of year
* Preference would be for a water-bungalow style resort, though other options with private pools per room may be a possibility
* Must have quick access to first class medical facilities, preferably not just a doctor on site but a nearby hospital with full facilities / all departments

Many thanks for any help, this would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 08:16 AM

The places I think of with over-water bungalows are the Maldives, Tahiti, Fiji. None of these would have "first class medical facilities." Tropical places with first class medical facilities include Thailand, and Malaysia, neither of which are known for over-water bungalows.

Also, how quick is "quick access"? Most beach resort areas would require a short flight to first class medical facilities. Phuket may be the one place I can think of that has a good hospital that is not a flight away.

Other options are domestic, Hawaii in particular. In Hawaii, you might want to opt for Oahu for the best close medical facilities, though I think Maui has some good facilities.
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi Kathie
Thank you so much.
I think the requirement is quick access to the medical facilities and preference is to avoid options where those are a flight away, if possible.

Hawaii sounds a possible option actually. I realise they don't have the water bungalow type properties, but my friend is open to compromise on the kind of resort where rooms are a bit luxe, quite private and have private plunge pool or the like.

Any thoughts?
Thank you again
Kavey
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 06:34 AM

I did a bit of googling and someone mentioned that the Halekulani in Honolulu had a suite with a private pool, but looking at their website, I don't see it. The Halekulani is lovely and right on Waikiki.

Lots of places in Thailand have private plunge pools, you could certainly find a place on Phuket with these facilities. Here is a link to the ten best pool villas on Phuket: http://www.phuket.com/hotel/recommen...ool-villas.htm Note that I an not recommending to book on that site.

Good luck to your friend!
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 07:01 AM

I used to co-own a 2 bedrooms, pool with jacuzzi villa at the Banyan Tree in Phuket and they are very luxurious and are very private. The resort has a very good spa and within 30 - 45 minutes drive to the private hospitals in Phuket.

The Amanpuri has pool villas as well but I have not stayed in these units, only their regular rooms/suites. The Amanpuri does have a better ocean frontage than the Banyan and is also about a 30 - 45 minutes drive to a private hospital.

There are some over the water units on some of the islands around Phuket but that will require a long boat ride or a helicopter ride to a hospital.
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 08:22 AM

I knew Hanuman would be able to tell you about pool villas in Thailand!
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Ahaah, thank you. I confess I'd never thought to list Thailand as a destination with top class medical facilities, so this is good to learn!

Will pass all these on, thank you again!
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone, I passed all the information back to my friend. They are focusing their further research on Mexico and Thailand as the two suggestions with best medical facilities and beautiful resorts and realise that water bungalows are not really available in those areas, so are looking at properties with private plunge pools etc.

Thanks again for all the advice!