Driving in Eastern Taiwan

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2023, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I am just starting to plan our first trip to Taiwan. We will have 3 weeks in the fall. We are a couple who spend a lot of time traveling in our retirement. I plan to spend 4-5 nights in Taipei and then pick up a rental car. I'm debating if we should travel down more through the middle of the island with its mountains to reach Hualien or take the coast road. We love driving scenic, mountain roads. We do easy to moderate hikes but wouldn't do biking or river activities. A possible route would be to stop in Lalashan for an overnight or 2 nights? Then onto Shei-pa National Park and onto Taroko Gorge. Is this possible or would we be better driving down the coast to Hualien and visiting just the Taroko gorge from there? Your thoughts are appreciated

Last edited by yestravel; May 2nd, 2023 at 12:37 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Crellston - I thought I saw a message that you had responded, but now I cant find it. Fodors was down last night.
I did find out the road I was thinking of doing has closure issues alot and its not always known in advance so we are going to skip that.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YT - I did respond but on this thread Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan

In addition to my comments there, I do recall being advised by the US expat lady I was corresponding with, that the road down to Hualien was frequent closed, I think due to earthquake/landslides.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crellston
YT - I did respond but on this thread Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan

In addition to my comments there, I do recall being advised by the US expat lady I was corresponding with, that the road down to Hualien was frequent closed, I think due to earthquake/landslides.
Thanks! That's discouraging if its the case with the coast road also. I had hoped to rent a car in Taipei and drive down and go o n from there.
A good blog I have been using is https://www.nickkembel.com/taiwan-it...y-1-2-3-weeks/. There are others, but I am finding this one the best so far.

Last edited by yestravel; May 3rd, 2023 at 09:00 AM.