Dress code question:)

Feb 25th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Dress code question:)

Hi!

Okay, I know men need slacks and ladies need skirts and a covered heel at the Palace in Bangkok, but what about kiddos? I intend to have the 11 and 14 year old boys dress in khakis, but what about the 8 year old twins?

Also, if my sandals have a strap around the back, does that count as covering my heel? Would nice slacks be a good substitute for the skirt? I just don't want to get turned away.

We will visit sites in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

Thanks for the help!!
Feb 25th, 2006, 08:03 PM

Our daughter wore a dress and sandals. I wore capri pants and a t-shirt. I had clogs with a strap and they made me "rent" teva style sandals...I was not in the mood to argue about it, though I know my clogs were fine. No matter what you are wearing, you won't get turned away. You will be directed to the clothing/shoe rental area to rent "proper attire".
Feb 25th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!! I would just as soon limit the amount of luggage we are hauling in.

I know this is off topic, but do you know how easy it will be for us to buy suitcases while there? We are having to change airports in Seoul and I would rather manage with carry-ons when we go.

Thanks!!

Mary
Feb 25th, 2006, 08:27 PM

We bought 2 bags last month in Bangkok. They are for sale on the street, in the malls, even in the supermarket. There is the full range of quality, complete junk to top of the line.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:15 AM

I wore sandals with straps in the back and got in no problem.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:31 AM

This are my walking sandals I was planning to wear in BKK....would these pass the palace inspection?
http://www.dansko.com/Product_Detail...2=4022&VID=371
Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:02 AM

I found your best bet when going to places like Temples and the Palace is to bring a couple long sarongs along with you. They squish into bags really well and they work perfectly if someone needs to be more covered up.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:06 PM

those are similar to the sandals that my wife wore ... if you give me an email addy I can send u a pic
Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:09 PM

Cruisinred, those sandals should be fine.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

What about these?

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/4113216/c/3.html
Mar 3rd, 2006, 02:17 PM

I wore the leather version of the Tevas you asked about and had no problems with entry to any locations that had shoe policies. I never wore pants longer than mid-calf and often only had a cap sleeve on my shirts. One time I wore a sleeveless top and just wrapped a very light weight scarf around my shoulders and had no problems with entry.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 02:29 PM

Mileaday, did you wear capris and cap-sleeved tops at the Grand Palace and Temple of the Emerald Buddha? That's really the only place with a srtict dress code, and their signs clearly indicate that neither capris nor cap sleeves are acceptable.

Other wats expect one to be respectful, but don't have such a firm dress code. The attire you describe would likely be acceptable at any other wats.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Kathie, do you think the sandals I posted would be okay? I would hate to be the only one who has to wait outside of the Grand Palace.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:16 PM

Your shoes are probably OK, but even if they are not, there are rental shoes right at the gate. No matter what, you won't have to wait outside...not to worry.
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:32 PM

Kathie, I just rechecked my pictures from BKK to see what I was wearing when we visited the Grand Palace and the Emerald Buddah. I wore a cap sleeve blouse with a collar and a pair of mid calf capris and the leather version of the Tevas being questioned in these posts. As far as I know no one gave me a second glance.
Mar 7th, 2006, 03:40 PM

The "dress code" is not really focused on how well you dress. Skirts or pants are fine for women. Men can wear any long pants. They need not be your Sunday-best. Jeans are fine.

Sandels with straps are sometimes OK other times not. It just depends. Don't swear it and don't bring an extra pair of shoes. Instead, bring a pair of socks and wear what you like. Don't worry about how strange you look with socks and sandels. You won't be the only one. It's the easiest and lightest solution.

Mar 7th, 2006, 05:04 PM

Mileaday, that's interesting. I would imagine the sandals would be ok, but the main entrance to the Grand Palace/Temple of the Emerald Buddha has a sign specifically showing that capris are not allowed, nor are cap sleeves. I saw a woman in capris being turned away once. You got in without a problem, but others should know to be prepared.

The issue, as mentioned above, isn't how nice your clothes are, but the issue of being sufficiently covered to be respectful.

I don't think that socks with sandals make a difference.

Search this Thread