Reload this Page >

Dress code in Hong Kong?

Search

Dress code in Hong Kong?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 09:33 PM
Robin

Dress code in Hong Kong?

A friend of mine told me it is not proper to wear shorts in Hong Kong. Opinions please! We will be there at the end of March.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 10:14 PM
Ross

Your friend is wrong.<BR><BR>Shorts for both men and women are completely acceptable here in HK. It isn't really a question of opinion.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 01:34 AM
Ursula

Robin: Even if shorts are ok, you should be aware that Hongkong is not a beach resort but a busy city. Personally, I find long cotton trousers more appropriate and as comfortable as shorts. I never wear shorts in a city with some respect for the people living there and I just feel more "dressed" with trousers or a skirt. Ok, you cannot wear a skirt, of course. I feel stupid walking into the lobby of a nice place like The Regent or The Peninsula definitely looking like a tourist, even if I am one.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 03:23 AM
deej

there is a practical consideration as well: hk weather in march can be quite cool and damp -- not quite shorts weather!

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 04:14 AM
Ursula

Robin, sorry. I am not sure whether Robin is an English female or male first name. So, if you are a woman, then you can wear a skirt, of course.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 09:58 AM
ryan

The average tempature in HK in March is 18.4C, 65F. It might be a bit early for shorts.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 09:15 AM
JoAnne

MOST likely it will be too cold for shorts in March. HK is a dressy/fashionable place. Take a lot of black and you can go anywhere. My husband and I were in HK in May 2001 and he was not allowed in a bar at the Grand Hyatt (just for drinks) because he was wearing shorts. You could wear shorts walking around during the day, but would want to wear pants/slacks in the evening. I was walking around HK one day wearing a striped shirt and aqua shorts and I stood out -- big time. Most women had on pants, but we were downtown in the business and fashion district. So again, stick to darker colors and dress up a bit more at night and you'll be comfortable anywhere. Also, if you're a man or going out with a man check with the restaurant or club before you go to see if ties or jackets are required -- again we went out to a club and he couldn't get in without a jacket.