Hydrabad - pearl shopping

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter will be in Hydrabad next month and would like to buy a strand of pearls and stud earrings. I know they have fresh water, tahitian, south sea and that the size of the pearl affects the price. Does anyone have any idea what she would likely pay for an 8-9 mm tahitian stud? Are the prices that much better than Bangkok or China? Any other pricing information will be most appreciated.
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 01:01 PM

Unless she either knows pearls or is going to a reputable shop, I would not risk my money on pearls in India.
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 01:37 PM

Real Tahitian Pearls are quite expensive. If she is willing to settle for dyed low-quality pearls no doubt she can get them very cheap. Like lcuy, I wouldn't buy pearls in India unless I had a shop recommendation from someone I trusted and I knew the value of the pearls I was looking for. And I wouldn't trust that I could buy real Tahitian Pearls in China at all.

I do have a jeweler in Bangkok I've been buying from for decades, and I would trust pearls I bought there. But I'm not sure that Tahitian Pearls are a bargain in Bangkok.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 08:58 AM

I get to Hyderabad years ago and bought some - quality was not very good.
If you are looking for Tahitian type pearls the Chinese dyed ones are reasonably priced. 100-1000 for a decent looking strand.

As a starting price of Tahiatian ( real) you can have a look at Costco.Starting price for a strand would likely be around $5000 after that it only goes up higher.
Old May 10th, 2011, 05:39 PM

I have traveled several years to Hyderabad on business and done a variety of peal shopping there. You can get a good deal but just like any semi-precious or precious gem purchase you should be a least a little informed. Make the sales person explain what makes a that item worth it's value and of course know your prices before you go.

By and large the best quality Tahitian peals I've found there are at Mamanram Srikishan in downtown Hyderabad. I've bought pearls there on two separate trips. They have loose pearls and you can hand select but they also have some necklaces and earrings already made up. You can negotiate the price. The first time I really didn't want the Tahitian pendant, but they wanted the business bad enough that they negotiated downwards so there is some flexibility in pricing.

They also have fresh water pearls at reasonable prices.

Address
Hyderabad Central Shop No. 20,
Punjagutta X Road, Hyd-82

+91-40-2340 7733