Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Dogster's Next Adventure: India again. Draft Itinerary Unveiled!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here’s my draft itinerary for part of next year’s travels. Some of it is a bit obscure so I guess response will be muted but I’d love to know any reports on the Rajasthan portion. I’ll be staying three days in most places. Longer in Udaipur. As you’ll see, I’m trying to connect some festivals and fairs. Doggie likes it slow.

Prior to this I’ll be in Kolkata, Raipur, the Bastar district of Chhatisgarh for three large local fairs, Indore then Ahilya Fort in Maheshwar and, if I can arrange it, a huge tribal mela in Chhotra Udepur during Holi. It’s all too obscure to canvas here.

Then:

Mar 15. AHMEDABAD: House of M.G.
www.houseofmg.com

Mar 18. ZAINABAD: Rann Riders or Desert Courses [website is down]
www.rannriders.com

Mar 21. DANTA: Bhavani Villa
http://bhavanivilladanta.com

Mar 23. POSHINA: Darbardadh Poshina
www.poshina.com

Mar 24/5/6: The Chitra Vichitra Fair is held at the confluence of three rivers near the village of Poshina. The fair is attended by tribals in great numbers, sometimes exceeding 60,000. The site is believed to date from the time of the Mahabharata, when Chitraveer and Vichitraveer are said to have repented at the Shiva temple, around which the fair is centred. This fair, one of the largest, purely 'Adivasi' (tribal) fairs is attended by around 60,000 to 70,000 tribal people. It takes place every year in the village of Gunbhakhari in Sabarkantha district, very near the borders of Rajasthan. It is held a fortnight after Holi, the festival of colours.

Mar 27. UDAIPUR: Devra,
http://www.mahindrahomestays.com/hom...?prpcod=RJ0006

Pahuna Haveli
http://www.mahindrahomestays.com/hom...?prpcod=RJ0005

Kankarwa Haveli
http://www.indianheritagehotels.com/property.asp?id=167

Mar 29 – 31 The Mewar Festival is celebrated to welcome the advent of spring. It coincides with the festival of Gangaur in Udaipur and has a unique charm about it. The festival of Gangaur is very significant for women of Rajasthan. It is a time for them to dress up in their best clothes and participate in the festival. They gather to dress the images of Isar and Gangaur and then carry them in a ceremonial procession through different parts of the city. The procession winds its way to the Gangaur Ghat at Lake Pichhola. Here, the images are transferred to special boats amidst much singing and festivity.
Once the religious part of the festival is over, it is time for cultural events where Rajasthani culture is portrayed through songs, dances and other programmes. The festival culminates with an impressive fireworks display. Like other fairs and festivals celebrated throughout the state, there is a lot of activity, which keeps the participants in a joyful frame of mind, eager to enjoy every moment.

Apr 1. DELWARA: Devi Garh [off-season rates start today!]
www.deviresorts.com

Apr 4. NARLAI: Rawla Narlai
www.rawlanarlai.com

Apr 7. SODAWAS: Karni Kot
http://www.karnihotels.com/kk_about.htm

Apr 9. SADARSAMAND: Sadar Samand
http://www.welcomheritagehotels.com/...alace_pali.htm

Apr 11. ROHET: Rohet Garh
www.rohetgarh.com

Apr 14. JODHPUR: Still deciding. Suggestions?

Have fun clicking on the links.
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 06:39 PM

nice....are you performing at each of these fairs?
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 06:43 PM

Hi Dogster, I've just started working through the links - looks very interesting with lots of room for some Doggie adventures. Rann Riders looks good - I noticed the Camel safaris and had a mental picture there for a bit but then saw its actually camel cart safaris. Since they have gum trees you should feel at home but don't get too enthusiastic and chase those Ass. They look lovely creatures too.

I'll keep working through and drooling.

Mary
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 06:54 PM

Just skipped to Devi Garh which looks absolutely wonderful - good job the low seasons rates are in!
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 07:00 PM

Wow! What fabulous places! Great heritage boutique hotels and home stays and off the tourist track places to visit. I can't wait to read your adventures!
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

rhk: I see you have read of my enthusiasm for the performing arts and my particular talent as a thespian.

Yes, indeed, I will be taking my little Dogster Show on the road.

'Le Petomongrel', as he is known, is a fixture at these village celebrations. He sings, he tap dances and for a magnificent finale plays Advance Australia Fair without using his hands.

It blows them away.
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 08:17 PM

so, it must be the drugs they take...

bravo...
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 03:27 AM

Is India prepared for the next Dog and Pony Show? Who will the pont be this time? We avid readers await your journey with almost as much anticipation as you.
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Might be a long wait, gpanda. That last lot of stories took me a year to earn. Now I'm back to zero. You'll have to content yourself with remaindered copies of The Dogster Chronicles #1 on Blurb.
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 04:14 AM

Nice job! This is my favorite part of a trip, the anticipation while putting the itinerary together. You've got more than a couple little gems there.
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 04:56 AM

Glad to see you'll be back in India Dogster. We're patient and will let your itinerary develop. It's nice of you to share it during the planning stages.

Be careful at Holi with all the paint and powder that some crowds may hurl at you.

I'm secretly jealous and wish I could enjoy a more leisurely pace when visiting India. That's where you come in. I can travel vicariously through your adventures.
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 04:56 AM

Go Dogster!

...a faithful fan
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 01:40 PM

Patient, Scmatient. We want the gory little details that go into the Dogster's Diary. Every stray thought or vision. Our lives are empty. Especially Bob's.
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Ok, so maybe "patient" is not the best descriptive for everyone here, BUT I do agree with Gpanda (or Grandpa - LOL when people use that) that we want every juicy, naughty, tawdry detail!

Old Dec 27th, 2008, 03:27 PM

dog - I am sure it will all be amazing as always but obviously can't comment on account of my modest travel experiences - can't wait to hear all about it and live vicariously through you when you post your next trip report (in 2010 perhaps?).
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 03:30 PM

Jaya - it would not be an official dogster trip report without every juicy, naughty, tawdry detail.
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 03:30 PM

I think Dogster is travelling Spring 2009 because Holi is in March.

Old Dec 27th, 2008, 04:14 PM

Yes, but by the time he posts his report it will be 2010 unless he caves to Gpanda's penalty threats.
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 04:39 PM

The penalties are fairly and equitably dispensed. One who writes promptly need not fear the assessment shame.
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 05:05 PM

Dogster, I don't know what time zone you're in, but I hope it's morning soon so you can chime in here before speculation runs amok.

People will have panic attacks if word gets out that your next travel posting won't be until 2010!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -