Dogster gets drunk and books a trip to India

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2008, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The twin curses of the internet and alcohol have long been noted. Last night I managed to combine the two in a frenzy of non-refundable bookings and, now I find myself looking at an imminent journey to India. I leave in a fortnight.

I've assembled a catalogue of absurdities and excellent last minute cheap rates for this itinerary:

BKK - Chennai
Chennai - Bangalore [3 nights]
Inaugural voyage of the Golden Chariot - a new luxury train [6 nights]

www.thegoldenchariot.co.in

Get off in Goa: [6 nights - dunno where yet. Suggestions?]

Cheap as chips deal [S1800]on this ratty cruise:
www.indianoceancruises.net
Get on in Goa.

Get off back in Goa. Fly Goa - Mumbai - Kolkata.
[yup, I know this is a long way]

Kolkata 4 nights at the Oberoi [for only $125 a night]

Fly Kolkata - Dibrugargh [Assam]
3 nights at Mancotta Chang Bungalows

14 night cruise Assam Bengal Navigation Co. down the Brahmaputra. 10 nights + 4 nights - two back to back cruises.

www.assambengalnavigation.com

50% off the cruise on a special deal

Then Guwahati - Bagdogra and a return visit to the very excellent Glenburn.
www.glenburnteaestate.com

I'm doing all the obvious research on hotels - but I'd appreciate some Chennai, Bangalore and particularly Goa hotel suggestions. I thought I could check out two or three contrasting boutique places while there. Oddities are good.

Anyway, it's happening. I've booked and paid for the train and both cruises - courtesy a fine Pouilly Fume.

It wasn't my fault.

Old Feb 21st, 2008, 10:37 PM

Good for you! I'm all for alcohol induced bookings....it's how we ended up in Bali rather than Khao Lak in December, 2004. Those two bottles of red likely saved our lives. Now we try to do all bookings under the influence.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 11:04 PM

Do suggest that you wash your mangoes in hotel soap!

Have a great trip, dogster! Sounds wonderful!
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:41 AM

I'll look forward to hearing about your trip. The cruise you are taking in Assam- 14 night cruise Assam Bengal Navigation Co. down the Brahmaputra - is on my wish list.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a truly fabulous trip dogster - maybe it will balance out Bhutan! In Goa I'd suggest splitting your time between Panaji (and Old Goa) and the coast. In Panaji I loved www.panjiminn.com, where I stayed both in the inn and the pousada - it's definitely not a luxury place, but it is Goa's only Heritage Hotel. The place I stayed on the coast, Sterling Vagator was also not luxurious - my AC kept breaking down - but seemed popular with locals and had an ideal location.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:50 AM

blame the french until it all turns out fantastically and then congratulate yourself
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, for your kind words. I'm glad I'm not the only who has discovered the fatal nexus between alcohol and travel bookings. KimJapan made me feel slightly less disgraceful.

thursdaysd: Thanks for that suggestion. I might well follow your advice. There's something kinda freeing about last minute bookings - no time for faffing around [which I'm very good at]

Kathie: this is all part of dogster's great plan: to sail the navigable length of all the mayor rivers in Asia. So far: almost all of the Ayerwaddy [Prome to Bhamo] and the Chindwin [Bagan to Homalin] in Burma, and about half the Mekong in Laos, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam.
Next: the Hugli out of Kolkata.

And I never once washed a mango 3 times in soap before I ate it. How am I still alive?

Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:17 AM

Congrats on your impending journey!

And thanks for the inspiration. Seriously. I've been this close to booking my own India adventure. Now all I need is to break open that bottle of wine to make it happen
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:25 AM

Dogster sounds great! We love India such an amazing place. But why did you have to mention mango's? No my mouth is watering & there is no way to satisfy this craving NOW!!!!!!!!!

Have a fantastic trip.

J
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:34 AM

You should drink more often.

I'll have some of whatever it is you're having!
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:03 AM

You are an inspiration, plan on getting drunk tonight and booking 2 tixs to BKK....... (then the BF cant back out of going)
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Well, I'm feeling very glad that my alcohol induced idiocy has inspired some of you. The hardest part of any trip is the moment when you say 'O.K. - let's press the button and GO!' Seems like I'm not the only one needs a kick-start.

But no wonder.

That's the moment when a great deal of money flows, very fast, very furious, from the credit card.

That's the moment when you've either stuffed your trip up, or grabbed your opportunity.

But that's also the moment when that little bud of adventure starts to open up like a lotus in the morning sun.

Ahh, travel.

I do it all the time, but I still get that little surge of adrenalin once I press the Go button.

So here I am, poised over all the next set of arrangements - flights, hotels, guides. Ain't it a miracle that I can book all this from home?

By the end of today my plan is to have it all booked. Two months in India sorted out - in two days.

Amazing. Let's see if I can do it...

Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM

I agree, dogster, it truly is amazing what we can do via the internet. When I first started traveling internationally, it was all calling hotels directly and sending foreign bank drafts. Many hotels would not accept a credit card to hold a room. I suppose I'm dating myself, but I still am occasionally struck by the wonder of being able to plan and reserve a whole trip via the internet in a couple of hours!

And just for the sake of research, does drinking a better wine while you book make for a better trip?
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:18 AM

Well said dogster. The point of no return does leave me with an anxious yet exhilarating tightening within my core.

I have no doubt that you'll have a great time, while taking the rest of us along for a vicarious ride.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:13 AM

Congrats, Dogster. A trip to Asia is a wonderful thing, no matter what the impetus. We will be expecting not only a report, but also ongoing updates about the planning.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:07 PM

Oh you are too funny. I love it.... Sounds like an amazing trip dogster, have a kick a** time!! Can't wait to hear all about it.

WHOOO HOOO! Party on Dogster!

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

You're so kind, guys.

In a frenzy of bookings and E-mails, risking a credit card meltdown, I managed to get the whole thing [bar one flight] in the bag - in 24 hours.

Eight weeks of travel - International flights, internal Indian flights [mostly thru Kingfisher 'cos they'll take international credit cards] hotels and transfers. Done.

No flies on dogster.

I wouldn't say it was overly adventurous. I'm thinking of it as a sampler. I like going back to places - far less stressful the second time. So I'll allow myself to be picked up and carried on trains and ships and river boats.

I've only been back 6 weeks from a far more eventful trip [for those not in the loop see the thread Dogster?Bhutan ]so the thought of a more leisurely jaunt appeals to me.

Anyway, it's done.

thursdaysd: I've taken your advice and booked in 4 nights at the Panjim Inn. There will be recriminations if I don't like it.

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 04:57 AM

No flies, any fleas?

We appreciate dedication, hard work and ignoring reality. As is often said, reality is for people that can't handle travel.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 05:41 AM

if those fleas had previously been resident on a panda head immediately to your doctor
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 06:13 AM

I hope your trip of absurdities and cheap rates is as entertaining as your opening paragraph.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -