Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Does it make sense to stay at 2 Tokyo hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2017, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Tokyo in October 2017 and as part of our tour, we will be staying at the Mandarin Oriental Tokyo for 3 nites. We have decided to come to Tokyo 2 days early and are considering a less expensive hotel for the extra nights. The Tokyo Station Hotel sounds great and would be approx $280 less per night! The question is how difficult it would be to make the change. On the map the hotels don't seem too far apart but I know nothing about Tokyo traffic. Any thoughts and/or advice?
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 11:23 AM
kja

Google maps will show you your options -- subway, taxi, or foot.
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 11:29 AM

I doubt that transportation between the two hotels would cost you $280. or more. For decades, I've been staying in more than one hotel and a lot when I'm traveling in Asia. Sometimes, it's to save money on accommodations and other times it's to just move to a different neighborhood to explore it and not have to commute to and from a new neighborhood of interest.

Happy Travels!
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 11:15 PM

I spent a night in Tokyo Station Hotel and wasn't impressed. Service was a bit snooty (unusual in Japan). The standard rooms were extremely small and made to feel much more so by an insistence on cramming in way more furniture than they could hold. The bathroom was huge though, but the room not great.

I am a fan of splitting Tokyo stays so that you can stay in two areas. I wouldn't bother if you're just going to stay in the same neighbourhood - nothing to gain.
Old Feb 26th, 2017, 03:07 AM

We stayed at the MO last year for 4 nights. They often have specials with a complimentary 4th night so you'd only have to pay for one additional night if you stay there for 5 nights. We loved the hotel and the location is great for getting anywhere in Tokyo (or beyond). But i agree with Kavey, if you do change hotels, go to a different neighborhood.
Old Feb 26th, 2017, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

All good comments. Thanks. I just found that the rate given for extra days at the Mandarin Oriental will be much less than originally quoted so I expect we will be staying there the entire 5 nights. I'm just waiting for confirmation - if there is no space, I'll be back for more advice regarding hotels in other areas that some of you have loved.
Old Feb 27th, 2017, 08:54 AM

That's the best outcome, you'll love the hotel. Terrific concierge, great service all around. breathtaking views, we ever saw Mt Fuji from the breakfast room one morning.