Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Do you have to use a travel agent to book hotel rooms for Burma?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2014, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
My boyfriend and I are going to Burma at the end of March for 2 weeks. We are planning on visiting Yangon, Bagan, and Inle Lake. We would like to fly between the cities.
When we travel we usually book our hotels and transportation ourselves.. Are we able to do this in Burma, or is a travel agent required?
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 07:00 PM

Some hotels can be booked directly or on booking sites such as agoda.com Often (but not always any more) a local agent can get you better prices. You will need an agent to book your flights, though I expect it won't be too long before the airlines will allow internet booking, it is not here yet.
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 10:23 PM

Maybe agents can get you better prices on higher end hotels and sometimes even mid range. You can check Lonely Planet and other guide books and travel sights and zero in on several in each city that you are interested in and some have their own websites. Some folks have the hotel they are staying in to call ahead and book the next hotel. Depends on how much structure you need (all hotels booked ahead)and how picky you are re the hotel.

And for now, and agent must get your plane tickets for you, as Kathie stated. There are many trip reports here, on trip advisor & lonely planet that may give you information about specific hotels.
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 06:21 AM

The lonely planet has excellent background info on culture and history and well as good info on the sights. But be aware that the latest LP was published just as the country opened up, so much in inaccurate. For lodging prices, multiply the LP's prices by 4.
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

I was thinking that we needed an agent for booking the hotels. I had no idea about the flights. Thank you for your help.
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 10:08 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I booked all our hotels myself by email. Flights and 1 boat trip within the country were booked for us by our Yangon guest house and paid for on arrival. Everything proceeded as planned, no glitches whatever. I did it myself because the travel agents I contacted were very slow to respond so if you're used to booking things yourself I suggest you do it that way. No reason not to, in my experience.