discounts at rayavadee?

Jan 2nd, 2004, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

discounts at rayavadee?

anyone know how to get less expensive rates at rayavadee (in thailand) then posted on their website?

thank you!!!!
Laura
Jan 2nd, 2004, 04:58 PM

Which month? I will see what I can find out.
Jan 3rd, 2004, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, James. We will be going to thailand in october and have fallen in love with the rayavadee, but it seems to be so expensive. Any info you can gather would be much appreciated.
Jan 4th, 2004, 12:15 AM

Wow, I saw the prices! I personaly would never see how such prices could be justified. I am all for having the best if you 'can' afford it but the thing about a hotel/resort is that it is 'temporary', you stay there, you leave, so apart from enjoying the comfort and 'feeling' at that moment all you can take is the 'memory'.
On that basis I think regardless of the cost I guess there is a 'limit' to what a bed for the night costs.

The beauty and atmosphere of a place like Krabi is a mix of the scenary, beaches, offshore islands, long tail boats, Thai food, the sounds, the smells, and for all that I think you can get the whole 'thing' without paying the earth. Unlike some places ( e.g African Safari Lodges ) you don't need to pay the top price to get the enjoyment, you can get a great room at a good service property, have a great experience, and have memories for a lifetime without paying so much.

My views: if you can easily afford without question and the price doesn't matter then fine, but if you are prepared to pay such a price just because you think it is 'necessary' in order to stay in great comfort and style I would say it is 'not' necessary.

Budget $200 and you can stay in amazing style and comfort, pay $100 and you can still stay in amazing comfort and style.

An 'average' 3 star property costs $ 40-70.

'My' bottom line: I would go for a great beach or sea view suite at a nice 3/4 star, maybe upgrade on the flight, sip that extra glass of chanpagne and 'still' same a fortune!
Jan 4th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

hi james,

Thanks for the good advice. any thoughts about nice places to stay in that price range in phuket or krabi? (We will be on our honeymoon.)

Thanks!
Laura
Jan 4th, 2004, 08:32 AM

Well first you need to decide whether Krabi or Phuket. Krabi is an 'area' which includes the mainland beaches, Ao nang is the busiest area, Railey Beach is nice and also Phuley. Krabi in the evenings(Ao nang I mean ) has restaurants and some bars. Scenary is better than Phuket.
Phuket is a busy tourist Island, that means it is busy but also means there is an almost endless range of trips and tours, overall much busier and more developed than Krabi.
If it's a Honeymoon in the 'old' sense of the word and you want to relax in a quiet and romantic place then the Tubkaak resort near Ao nang might suit. However, if you want to mix beach with day trips and tours and also be able to mix in with a lively atmosphere and perhaps see a show and want an overall more lively experience, then Phuket.
The Boathouse is worth a mention, fine restaurant, great service, on the beach, easy enough to get to restaurants etc.
Take a look at the information and photos on these sites and then you will build up an idea. If you have 2 weeks it is worth considoring perhaps 1 week Krabi and 1 week Phuket.

http://www.freewebs.com/koh_samui_hotels/krabi.htm

Rates in October for Boathouse at Kata beach range from $90 to $240

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/ph...house/details/

From that link you can also click on their reviews for both Phuket and Krabi.

Le meridien Yacht Club on Phuket is about $130 for a deluxe room

http://www.r24.org/phuket-beach.com/phuket/yachtclub/

Anyway that all gives you some 'food for thought' and something to be going on with, there are around 15 good possibilies around Krabi and probably 30-40 possibles on Phuket. One thing on Phuket, unless you want very remote I would avoid Sheraton/Dusit/Marriott/Evason. If you are young at heart and want a good mix of relaxtion plus some 'good times' I would do half at krabi and then it's just a couple of hours by car to Phuket(just around the corner), have fun!
Jan 4th, 2004, 08:38 AM

PS, if you want to get a quick glance at the good hotels you can click on the rates little blue arrow and it sorts from top to bottom price, and shows you which beaches each place is on, then click some and you will build up an idea of what's available.

Krabi:
http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/krabi/hotels/

Phuket:
http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/phuket/hotels

Long site names but that get's you straight to the real information.