Dinning in BKK

Search

Dinning in BKK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dinning in BKK

After reading all the various reviews on the restaurant suggested I have come up with my list. Can someone please provide feedback..

Lunch on Day 1 – Lord Jim (This is a Sunday. I read somewhere that some places have great Sunday buffets).
Lunch on Day 2 – The Loft (while shopping)

Dinner on Day 1 – Biscotti
Dinner on Day 2 – Manohra Rice barge

BACKGROUND:
First time in BKK
We are vegetarian’s (don’t even eat eggs)
Staying at the Sheraton in the City and
Just there for two days. (Sunday and Monday).
I don’t know the price range of the restaurants but don’t want all to be absolutely on the higher end.. Can anyone give us the approximate cost for each dinner? We are veggies and at most will have two drinks…
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 12:51 AM

Since you are a vegetarian I wouldn't go to Lord Jim for the Sunday lunch buffet. Frankly I think you'll be wasting your money since most of the good stuff are non vegetarian food. Perhaps if you like the Oriental you might want to try the China House where they have more vegetarian Chinese dishes. There are also some great Thai vegetarian dishes both in the hotel eateries and local places.

Also, the Loft is in the Discovery Centre but I can't really think of a vegetarian type restaurant there.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Oh good you told me about Jim´s.. I had no idea about that...Which other places would you suggest near the shopping centre for lunch..?
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 10:28 AM

I may be confused, but I thought The Loft was in the Chitlom Central Department Store... The Greyhound Cafe in that same store is very good for lunch and has several light vegetarian choices.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 04:43 PM

Yes, the Loft is in the Central Chitlom Department store. I would agree that Greyhound is also a very good choice. It is also located in the Central Dept store, on the same level where you come in from the Chitlom sky train station.
Carol
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 04:46 PM

hanuman,
I was wondering what you could be thinking of with the Loft at the Discovery Center. I finally remembered that there is a big store with office supplies and all sorts of stuff call LOFT at Discovery. We are talking, instead, about the Food Loft, which is on the 6th floor (?) at the Central Chitlom Department Store. It is a very nice food court, with all types of food choices. It isn't a buffet where you pay one price, no matter how much you eat. It is a place where you purchase each item separately, with a sort of computer car code card, and then your bill is tallied when you check out. It's a nice place, and very busy. Best seats are in the window!
Carol
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 02:27 PM

You're right there are a few "Lofts" in Bangkok and I misunderstood MiniAK's post - I thought that she wanted to go shopping at the Loft and was looking for a vegetarian restaurant there(at the Discovery Centre).
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 03:46 PM

I suggest that you go with high end places for dinner and moderate for lunch. That seems to be your inclination. The Loft at the Central Chitlom Dept. Store is very good. If you go there, it's amusing to shop for ties and artificial flowers or anything really.

Old Jun 12th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Ok..this is what I gathered from the messages…. I guess there are two shopping centres.. .. The discovery centre and the Central Chitlom Department Store. In the Central Chitlom Centre you have LOFT and the Greyhound Café. Both sound very good and it is exactly the kind of place I was looking for. But my lunch for Day 1 is still empty. I agree with Gpanda.. I would prefer to go to a moderate place for lunch.. On Day 1 we should mostly be visiting the Grand Palace and stuff. Any good places around there..? How do Biscotti and Manohra sound for Dinner…? I read on this board that the dinner on the rice barges are not exactly very good. It maybe a better idea to take a boat ride during the evening and have dinner at a better restaurant…
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 08:58 AM

I'm vegetarian and eat at Biscotti regularly. I, however will eat fish/eggs...but also eat just straight vegetarian and also vegan...depending on my mood. I have also eaten a few times at Greyhound Cafe in the Emporium shopping Center...as someone mentioned above. Someone just posted last week about this subject and a lot of us answered it. Do a search and maybe it will pop up. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 06:13 PM

I haven't heard of any good restaurants around Grand Palace. In my last trip, after visiting Grand Palace and Wat Po, we took taxi back to Siam/Chitlom (less than THB100 with 30-45 minutes) with a lot of good restaurants.

On the high-end side, you can try The Spicy Market (Thai food) at Four Season Hotel. There should be some veg. dishes and the staff are very helpful to suit your needs.

On the low-side, you can also go to the cafes (like Greyhound) at the big shopping malls, or the food court (even cheaper) at the top floor of the malls.

In terms of prices,
LOFT should cost less than THB200 per person. And it would be even more cheaper for other food courts.
Biscotti and Spicy Market, be prepared to pay THB1000 per person (all inclusive).

Old Jun 14th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Original Poster

OK.. sounds good… One of the food courts or café’s for lunch and dinner at Biscotti for sure… Have read very good reviews about it on this board..I think I will do a search on the rice barges dinner or start a new thread.. Thanks again…
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 10:28 AM

Click here to see pictures from the buffet line in Lord Jim's@The Oriental.

http://www.thailandfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14120