Search

Dim Sum?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dim Sum?

Anyone know of a place with good Cantonese dim sum in either Beijing, Xian or Shanghai? I realize HK would be best, but can't fit that in.

Thanks!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 12:35 AM

In Shanghai, Michele's "1221" does a really nice job with Dim Sum. Do make reservations because this place is packed most evenings. Dress is casual. I love the banana rice pancake for dessert. Myszka in Shangahi
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 01:13 AM

I can't recommend any good place because these are not Cantonese towns. IMO any place that serves dim sum in the evenings can't be any good, as dim sum is NOT a dinner meal, it is for lunch; it is like eating turkey and all the trimmings for breakfast....
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:41 AM

"It is like eating turkey and all the trimmings for breakfast..." LOL, Cicerone!

LostinChina - why would you want to have Cantonese dim sum in those cities when there is so much to explore in terms of local cuisine?

Shanghai has it's own variation of "dim sum". Shanghai is also famous for its "Little Dragon Dumplings". If you go to the center of Old Town in Shanghai, you will more likely than not see a line of people at one of the restaurants, reputedly this place has the best LDD's in town. Do not bite into an LDD, put it into your mouth whole. The juice inside the dumpling is everything.

Both Beijing and Xian are in the north and therefore wheat, not rice, territory. I remember a huge restaurant facing the "square" of the Drum Tower in Xian. They made more varieties of "dumplings" than I've ever seen anywhere. Part of the tradition of wheat is hand-pulled noodles. These are noodles which are made from dough, are pulled, and never touch metal. Like anything made from fresh dough, they're delicious.

The north of China is also hot pot country. Try the mutton hot pot, it's famous.

Etc. etc. etc.

If you MUST have dim sum in Beijing, try the Palace Hotel. It used to have an excellent (and expensive) Cantonese restaurant. Hope it's still there for you.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

I know, I know, we are going to the wrong places for dim sum. I just thought we will have plenty of Mandarin-style food to enjoy, it might be nice to sample their dim sum too.

Thanks!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 03:50 PM

There is a little Cafe next to a park opposite Shiliupu Wharf in Bund area of Shanghai which serves the best dumplings in the universe, imho. The lineup is long but the wait is worth it. OMG, my mouth is watering again! Careful when you bite into them - they spurt and it stains one's clothes! I LOVE Shanghai!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:09 PM

LostinChina, I'm not trying to deter you from using this forum, far from it, but it would be worthwhile for you to invest in a decent guide book (Fodors, Frommers, Lonely Planet, whatever). This will answer many of your questions, and you can then fill in the gaps by posting top-up questions here. The price of the book is trivial compared to what you'll be spending on your trip.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

I actually have purchased Frommer's China, Fodor's Beijing and Shanghai, an older ed of Lonely Planet and have checked out numerous books from the library. I am going through all of them. However, I find the personal experiences from those expressed on forums far surpass anything I've read in the guidebooks. Some of the web sites I've learned from the forums are just terrific!! Never saw them in the guidebooks.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 01:02 PM

Fair enough, you're ahead of me. I had the impression you were starting from scratch here.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:04 AM

Living in HK and visited Beijing & Shanghai before, I totally agree with the comments of "easytraveler" above.

Even if you find a place for dim sum, it could be either expensive (not worth) or not as nice as those in Guangdong.

Beijing & Shanghai have so many nice cuisine. We had dinner at different restaurants during our visit to Beijing and Shanghai (1 week each), but still got several nice restaurants on our list remained not visited. So, I would not bother to find dim sum in those citiees.

Enjoy your trip and the food.