Destinations for winter in Vietnam

Old Nov 12th, 2019, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Destinations for winter in Vietnam

Hi Fodorites,

I'm planning a trip to Vietnam in December, and I want to go trekking or cycling in a mountainous area for 4 days. I got some information about Sapa, Ha Giang, and Cao Bang with flower blossoms. Have you ever been there? Can you give me some interesting spots to visit? Anything I need to avoid?

Thank in advance,
Grace

Old Nov 14th, 2019, 07:21 PM

Cold in Northern VN in winter!
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 07:24 PM

For 4 days, the only possible is Sapa because it is of easy access.
Day 1 : BUS express DIRECT Hanoi-Sapa (DO NOT take teh night train, a nightłare of 10 hours instead of 5 by bus). Visit Sapa and Cat Cat village and waterfalls
Day 2 to 4 : TRekking.with the excelklent Sapa agency Nomad Trails. Afternoon of Day 4 : express bus Sapa-Hanoi

Some warm clothes are recommended. Also, before going there, type "weather Sapa" on Googles and then click on "Accuweather" because it can be foggy. If no good, verify "Meteo Bac ha", where there is excellent trekking also (then take the night bus direct Hanoi-Bac Ha)
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DinHo
Cold in Northern VN in winter!
I know that but I really want to see some snow!
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your suggestions. Could you give me advice about accommodation and restaurants? Thank in advance.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 11:22 PM

Some snow where ? Funny ! It does not snow in Vietnam, except on the summit of the Fan Si Pan in Sapa, which is 3100 m high (well, years ago, it snowed a few mm in Sapa itself, unheard of in 50 years)

I like the Eden Hotel because it is in a quiet area and overlook the Sapa. Alas, Sapa is not a gastronomy center , too many tourists, so, nobody cares any longer. One good one is on Fan Si Pan Road (the one leading to the Eden); I forgot the name, but it has a street terrace with an old blue side-car BMW motorbike ; stay wawy from the Italain erstaurant on Cau Mai St, expensive and no good.

NO Sapa on week-ends, filled with Hanoians and Chinese tourists, so a lot of hotels double or triple their rates
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 12:31 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Larsay
Some snow where ? Funny ! It does not snow in Vietnam, except on the summit of the Fan Si Pan in Sapa, which is 3100 m high (well, years ago, it snowed a few mm in Sapa itself, unheard of in 50 years)

I like the Eden Hotel because it is in a quiet area and overlook the Sapa. Alas, Sapa is not a gastronomy center , too many tourists, so, nobody cares any longer. One good one is on Fan Si Pan Road (the one leading to the Eden); I forgot the name, but it has a street terrace with an old blue side-car BMW motorbike ; stay wawy from the Italain erstaurant on Cau Mai St, expensive and no good.

NO Sapa on week-ends, filled with Hanoians and Chinese tourists, so a lot of hotels double or triple their rates
Thanks for your advice. I heard some places in Vietnam have snow, like Lang Son, Fansipan, and Sapa.
I'll try to avoid the weekends.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 07:01 PM

Never in Langson at a few hundred meters altitude. Fan si Pan is the mountain facing Sapa, which is at 1500 m.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 08:21 PM

It does snow in Sapa but only occasionally. We had snow in Sapa/fansipan years ago when driving the Dien Bien Phu loop from SAPA to Hanoi, I think in late December. It is a very rare occurrence so I wouldn’t bank on seeing any and certainly would not visit just for that expectation. With just 4 days your options are limited. Maybe head somewhere closer to Hanoi? Perhaps the Mai Chau valley but do get away from the main town which is heaving with tourists these days, especially at weekend. Try for a Homestay further out in the countryside,
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 11:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your kind advice. I've decided to come to Sapa and Fansipan for 4 days, and luckily it won't be on the weekend, so I hope there won't be not many people.
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 06:59 PM

Phong Nha is where you need to be!

Hi there!

I have trekked and cycled almost all across Vietnam and Phong Nha has always stood out for its overall beauty and culture. Sapa, Ha Giang and Cao Bang are absolutely gorgeous, without a doubt! However, it would be pretty cold up there during winter. I would recommend visiting the Phong Nha - Ke Bang National Park in Central Vietnam. It known as the adventure capital of Asia and also popularly renowned as the best trekking destination in Vietnam. The trekking tours here are quite unique and special, as you'd get to go through lush jungles right off the Ho Chi Minh trail and even get to explore some of the biggest caves on Earth (you even get to camp overninght inside the caves). Winter time in Phong Nha is incredibly pleasant and ideal for trekking and cycling around.

Enjoy your time!