Destination Advice to celebrate Holi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2020, 12:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I am a travel enthusiast and planning to visit India during the Holi festival. I have heard of the unique celebrations of the festival in Udaipur, Jaipur, and Anandpur Sahib. Of course, there will be other interesting places too in India. Please advise me with your best experiences about where I should be this Holi. As most of the celebrations take place on the final day of Holi. So I want to make this day huge.
Thanks and Happy Holi to all of you in advance!!
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by dianageorge
Hi! I am a travel enthusiast and planning to visit India during the Holi festival. I have heard of the unique celebrations of the festival in Udaipur, Jaipur, and Anandpur Sahib. Of course, there will be other interesting places too in India. Please advise me with your best experiences about where I should be this Holi. As most of the celebrations take place on the final day of Holi. So I want to make this day huge.
Thanks and Happy Holi to all of you in advance!!
Mathura should be on your list.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Good Idea

Originally Posted by pawanranta
Mathura should be on your list.
Thanks for the advice. I was also reading about it today.
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 09:53 AM

I have been only in New Delhi a couple of times during the festival of Holi. It is a fun festival as your research will show.
Just a reminder, make sure you take several old outfits so that if local people throw dry or wet color on you and your clothes get stained, you can just discard them. Washing them sometimes will not take the color stains away. If wet, you can dry them and reuse them for another day and then discard.

Kids on the street, like to play with colored water and may squirt a little on people walking around, It is all in good spirit, so if you get sprayed, enjoy the moment. If you do not want to get color on yourself, you may have to stay in the hotel room!! Even at hotels, the staff will want to put some color on your face--forehead, cheeks. Again, all in festive mood, so try to participate.

Some colors can irritate the skin, so good idea to carry some creams and soothing lotions with you and use them after washing off the colors from the skin.

There are special food items prepared for the festival too, hope you get a chance to try them. There will be lots of local shops that sell Indian sweets by the piece, so stop by and taste a few. The one I liked the best is called "Gunjiya." It is a turnover---pastry stuffed with sweet, aromatic nutty filling. Many varieties are available and different shops will have varied choices.
Well, enjoy planning, it will be fun and of course, take tons of colorful photographs.
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 11:11 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I think another point of view is in order. It could be I'm just a curmudgeon, likely, but I found it a pretty obnoxious few days. Both times I was in Jaiselmer (2nd time silly me) and after experiencing some aggression, especially from young boys, I just stayed in my hotels, perfectly content except for the explosions. Not just 1 day, it goes on for several. I tend to stay put for longer than average so I didn't miss anything as a result but just a head's up, and if you find it isn't your thing, you aren't alone.
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 02:19 AM

Delhi has a rule that all colour throwing has to stop in the early afternoon. Thank goodness. I agree with Mme Perdu, I'd stay in my hotel rather than going out in the mess. Yes, the little boys can be very aggressive with their water guns and water filled balloons.
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This seems to be a good description of one woman's experience: https://www.lostwithpurpose.com/holi-woman-varanasi/

Take a look at some photos and decide if you want the experience they show: https://indianexpress.com/photos/lif...cs-5080451/10/

And it may not "just" be paint: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/63114411.cms
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 10:43 AM

Thursday-Thanks for the links. Educational to see the good and the bad part of Holi celebration. Many people in India just stay indoors for the day so they do not have to deal with the street Hooligans.
Supposed to be all in good spirit and in friendly and loving mood, but things go out of hand it seems.
So, important to be careful and take full precautions even when one is trying to enjoy a local celebration.
Old May 21st, 2020, 09:53 PM

Holi is a beautiful festival. In our younger days - my white beard carries the colour for many days now and hence discontinued - my wife & I would pickup our jeep, visit friends, enjoy a G&T and after lunch would return back home! The festival was celebrated amongst our friends and their families. The colour was used in a decent way, like applying a 'tikka' on the forehead, and not to smother.
On the other hand, you will notice a riot on the street! Young boys wandering about and indulging in hooliganism, as ileen has very kindly posted.
Now, if you are travelling in Rajasthan, the festival can be enjoyed in a perfectly sane manner. Some hotels will provide you with an extra set of clothes to spare your own. They have a programme for the resident Guests. Entry is strictly regulated and by invitation alone. It is up to you to quietly watch the proceedings or participate in the goings-on.
I would wholeheartedly recommend a few hotels where all precautions are taken. These are:
a. Jaipur - Hotel Shahpura House. I have been there many times. Another beautiful place is the Khas Bagh, just outside the city of Jaipur. Hotel Arya Niwas is another property which holds it very sensibly.
b. Chanoudgarh - This hotel locates in village Chanoud, some 90mi south of Jodhpur. If I were to go & celebrate Holi, this is the most likely place I would go to. The feudal relations are yet very strong in these areas. There is a very high possibility of The Bhopas, folk-singers visiting this fort-palace. This is in addition to the song & dance organised by the hotel. The Bhopas sing the bardic songs of medieval Rajasthan. And mind you they will not sing for money, poverty stricken as they may be, it is voluntary.
c. Fort Ramathra.
In fact, most of the Fort-palaces in rural Rajasthan will hold this festival for their resident guests. If you happen to be in north India, you may kindly get in touch with hotels and get the Holi programme from them, before your arrival, or simply ask your travel agent to fix up an Itinerary that will cater to this function. You must not travel that day.
'Holi Oye', Ladies & Gentlemen!
Old May 21st, 2020, 10:05 PM

I missed Anandpur Sahib. Hola Mohalla is celebrated at Anandpur like nowhere else! The Nihang Sikhs display of martial arts skills through mock duels and dangerous stunts. One could stay at either the Citrus County Farmstay or for those with an eye for heritage, Fort Bharatgarh!
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 03:43 AM

Mathura and Vrindavan in Uttar Pradesh are one of the most popular places in India to visit in India to experience the colourful festival. The temples and other devotional places in Mathura and Vrindavan celebrate Holi along with Vasant Panchami, to welcome spring. Shantiniketan in West Bengal is popular for its cultural programmes that are organised during Holi. If you are interested in more about the traditions and cultural values attached to this colourful festival, then you should visit this place. Hampi in Karnataka is known for its traditional architecture and serene landscape. It is one of the most popular places to celebrate Holi in Southern India.
Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 05:42 AM

There is a place called Barsana near Mathura and Vrindavan which is most popular for Holi festival as the roots of the festival comes from there. You must celebrate Holi of Barsana once.