Search

December

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
December

Hello,
I posted over the summer when beginning to plan our trip for December to Thailand and you all had wonderful information that was greatly helpful. My husband and I are currently booked to fly into Bangkok on Dec. 17th for a five night stay before moving onto Siem Reap and then Phuket. We will fly out of Bangkok on the 31st.

I've been trying to find out more specifics on the flooding and what the future weeks possibly hold- of course, no one has a crystal ball- but should we look into changing our reservations? we are to stay at the Chatrium and from what I can tell, the Chao Phraya is already or to the point of overflowing?! is this correct? Pardon my ignorance- neither of us have been to Thailand before and we haven't had much news about the specific areas of the flood, just that now it's moving into Bangkok. Most maps I've seen are also in Thai so it's hard to get an idea of what's what.

I have an email in to the hotel, there is nothing on their website suggesting that they are not taking reservations or are closed but if the water is still not receeding perhaps we should change plans. Again, I know that no one can be sure of conditions, but for those of you that have spent time in Thailand, how would you decide to go or not?

Thanks for any and all information, it's greatly appreciated. We've been so looking forward to this trip and have been heartbroken to see the devastation. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of you in affected areas or who have friends and loved ones that have been affected.
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 07:55 PM

The river hotels are fine right now. What happens next, we really don't know. I'm headed for Bangkok in mid-November and am hoping things will be ok. I have shortened my time in bangkok because of the flooding.

The Thai people are really suffering. I've given money to several charities helping flood victims. The charity giving the most immediate help is the Thai Red Cross.
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 12:42 AM

We are in a similar position flying out to Bankok in early December. Our original plan was to stay a couple of days in Bangkok before travelling to Chiang Mai by train. The line is now closed so we changed our plans to fly immediately to Chiang Mai and then return to Bangkok just before Xmas.

Our plans, and I suspect yours, will largely depend on the main airport staying open which, I hope and believe it will. If it doesn't, then all plans will be off.

The floods in and around Bangkok , according to some reports, are due to peak over the next week or so the situation regarding central Bangkok should be a lot clearer after that. The reality is that nobody really seems to know and that you will probably just have to wait and see for a week or so.

For what its worth, I am leaving my plans unchanged for the time being as the majority of our time will be spent in the far north which is now, no longer affected by the flooding. I will keep a close eye on the situation and will make a final decision in a week or so.

I guess in your situation, you could change your plans to fly on from Bangkok to say Phnom Pehn or Phuket for the extra days although, if you leave it too long, it may be that places do get booked up because everyone else is thinking the same.

I agree with Kathie re donating to the Thai Red Cross. Many are suffering in ways that are really unimaginable and will really need help immediately.
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 01:18 AM

Unless you have some kind of outbreak of waterborne illness
odds are great you will be fine now monsoon season is tapering
off.

Insuremytrip.com always wise just in case but I would go

but be flexible have some backup plans just in case.

mdtravelhealth.com Thailand review health info carefully

bring a good medical kit be ver careful with food water

Bake it Peel It Boil It or LEAVE IT!(drink only bottled H2O)

Happy Travels!
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 02:42 AM

i left bkk on oct 30. the river water was high but not out of control. i think that could change at any time. i would call chatrium or e mail chet the room mgr and ask for an update. i would be inclined to go..
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 02:43 AM

hanuman, who lives in bkk, does not agree with me and he probably knows better.
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your quick responses. We will continue to wait perhaps another week and then look into possible changes to our plans, maybe to go north instead. We do have trip insurance which is helpful.

We will be making a donation to the Thai Red Cross most definitely.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 06:15 AM

qw, the problem right now isn't the monsoon rains that have already stopped some time ago, it's the amount of water in the whole system, which is still moving south.
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 07:32 AM

Do check your trip insurance policy carefully as many will only pay out if you are already travelling or are unable to travel because of airport closures etc. Most will not pay out in the event of just a travel advisory warning from a government and travel is still possible.