debating on traveling to india

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 06:34 AM
concernedtraveler

debating on traveling to india

I am debating on if i should go to India in Oct. Afraid of all the new happenings going on in the east. Is it safe for an american girl travelling alone in this time period. Please if any one has advice on if i should go or not. I was thinking maybe i should postpone until things settle down.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 10:05 AM
Jerey

Concerned Traveler,

In my opinion, travelling to India is safe from the events last week. Most airlines going to India don't stop in the MiddleEast & most of the air traffic to India has resumed to normal.

Within India, however, I do advise you to be extra careful, as you would any other place, travelling alone.

If you do wish to postpone your trip, one advantage would be the lower cost of airfares. But overall, in my opinion, it's safe to travel to India & the events going shouldn't have any effect on travel. I think you may be confusing the East with the MiddleEast. India is in the SouthEast of Asia, not the MiddleEast.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 03:34 PM
John G

You should not have any problem in India because of last week's tragic events. Remember, the majority of Indians are Hindu, not Muslim. Pakistan is the mortal enemy of India. You, being an American and President Bush pressing his thumb on Pakistan, should glorify you in the eyes of most Indians.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 06:29 AM
Al

Let us not forget that both Pakistan and India are nuclear powers. If the pressure on Pakistan leads to an overthrow of its government by the pro-binLaden mob (watch your TV and read your newspapers), what choice will India have but to enter a truly nightmare scenario of who-pushes-the-button-first. I cannot imagine any sane person wanting to enter such an arena, whether as a tourist or any other such trivial reason.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 11:56 AM
John G

Al, I think you have been reading too many John Le Carre novels. I doubt India and Pakistan will detonate A-bombs over bin Laden. But, even if they do, they will start WWIII and you will be in danger no matter where you are, whether Varanasi or Virginia.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Al

John: what a comforting thought.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 01:02 PM
another concerned traveler

John,

I am sorry but you seem to be overoptimistic, judging by what just happened in the US.

There could be those crazy Muslim extremists crossing the border into India and looking for Americans to kill, if the US attacks Afghanistan. Getting into India from Pakistan is just so easy.

I'd stay away from India for now.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 01:36 PM
CONCERNEDTRAVELER

Thanks so much for the replies. I appreciate it. Right now i am leaning towards not going for now cause of the risk of muslim extremists. I think its not a good idea to put my self in this position at this moment. I just hope in a few months things will get better cause i really love to visit India.

thanks the conerned person

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 08:31 AM
Penelope

GO! You won't die until your time comes. Life is too short not to take every opportunity to see the world. P

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 06:52 PM
deepa

To the person who said -"it is so easy to get into India from Pakistan". It is exactly the opposite. Read up on the history of Indo-Pak relations and their current situation and you will get an idea of the kind of security on the borders. Whether you go or not, is your personal choice. India is no less safe, well, possibly a bit safer than US or big cities like London, I would say, at this moment.

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 03:22 PM
MAUREEN

I just returned from India last week.
The Indian people could'nt of been more sorry for what happend in the US. Overall I felt safe, however, I could'nt help but wonder who I was walking next too. Let's just say things are heating up over there and the tension is rising. I was very happy to leave and get home to the USA.
While I look forword to going back some day now is not the time,sorry to say.