Day Trips from KL

Search

Day Trips from KL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trips from KL

My wife and I are flying into Kuala Lumpur this summer. We will have 7 to 10 days. we are just beginning to explore the possibilities. We are open to any suggestions from people who have been there; day trips, short flights to nearby islands, ferry trips, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Greg
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 09:01 AM

If you have 7-10 days then I would only suggest a couple of days in KL. You can try the Perenthain Islands, Tioman, Penang, or Langkawi Island, though at that time of year the East coast islands would have better weather.
Without knowing the types of things you want to do it is not easy to suggest, perhaps if you could tell us if you are into jungle/mountains/scenary. diving/beach relaxtion/culture and history would be easier to give you ideas.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Your right I should have offered some more detail, but I am open for any suggestions so I kind of wantd to avoid narrowing it down too much.

I do dive, so I would like to do some diving, but my wife does not, so this is not going a "diving" vacation.

My wife likes to shop of course, and we're both into getting to know the culture. We also enjoy beaches.

Having said that I suspect the flora and fauna can is probably incredible. We are not hikers or climbers, but I would love see some jungle scenery/wildlife.

Thanks for your help.

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 10:54 AM

Ok Tioman island has nice beaches and that time of year weather will be better on that side. Malaysia is very easy to travel around in, flights with both Malaysia Airlines and Air Asia are cheap. Have you booked flights yet? If not wise to check malaysian Airlines offers as you can often get a domestic sector for free on some deals they have, also they have special Visit Malaysia fares.
Penang is easy to reach by good fast train, 1st class very pleasant, the island is as many say like Singapore perhaps 30-40 years back, the beach area at Batu Ferringhi has some great resorts, my favoprite is the Shangri la Rasa Sayang. Langkawi is much much quieter but great beaches and very 'slow' pace, some amazing resorts, the Datai if you can afford it or the Sheraton at the Beach or Pelangi beach Resort. Langkawi has little traffic and excellent roads, nice island to take ca car rental and just drive around, not packed with tourists, very relaxing. Penang and Langkawi are 50 mins by air from Kuala Lumpur (KL).

Ok here are a few sites I got from Kooloo which may help you to get an idea of what to see and do:-

http://www.pinganchorage.com.my/

http://www.langkawi-info.com/

http://gbayuc.tioman.tripod.com/island.htm

For Jungle Borneo and Sarawak would be of interest but you only have a short time, I think a mix of East coast beach, perhaps a trip to Melakka ( Malacca ) and maybe Penang or Langkawi will fill your 10 days.

KL is a nice city, the Shangri La is a great hotel, for something cheaper the Concorde KL is good value.

I am sure plenty of other posters will add their malaysia tips and ideas, but at least we've got you started!
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions! Thanks James!

I will researching these places in the coming weeks.

If anyone has ideas please keep em coming!

I'll let you know what we decided on and how the trip goes.
Old May 19th, 2004, 03:33 PM

What about the East coast, we visited Terennganau last year, the islands of this coast offer the best diving in Malaysia and its not so discovered.
You can fly from KL to Terreanganau with Air asia for very little, they were really efficient. Definatly think KL deserves a couple of days. We were fascinated with Cyberjava and Putrajaya, the layout and architecture/design of buildings were fascinating. Also shopping at The Mines was a jolly experience.
WE stayed at the Cyberview hotel in Cyberview about 30 minutes from the airport, not very convenient for travel to city though they run a shuttle sometimes, the hotel was gorgeous, staff wonderful rates very resonable and if you hired a car its perfect.
This year we will try the Shangrila in Putrajaya on arrival and the Palace of the Golden Horses before departing.
We are staying 4 days on Langkawi so it will be interesting to see the difference.
Also worth a visit in Terranganau is the largest manmad lake, it has a lovely underused resort there.