Day Trips

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trips

Rather than go through 300 messages to see if anyone else has asked this I'm taking the lazy way. What - if any- are good day trips from Bangkok - we will be there for 7 full days and would like to see some area outside of the city.
ALSO- someone mentioned a tailor who makes trousers - how about a dressmaker? Or is it better to buy the Thai silk and bring it home? I definitely would not fit anything ready made for Thais - since I am 5'8"!! Thank you again..
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 06:34 PM

Ayuthaiya is the obvious best day trip, use the boat.
Tailors do women's dresses, it is up to you, if you know a good local dressmaker in your hometown back home then I would take the material, then any changes etc are easy.
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 11:55 AM

Skaye...

At 5' 11" I can't wear anything off the rack in Bangkok either. I have a good tailor who has made pants, dresses, jackets, slacks, and evening wear and I have been very pleased with his work. He is located very close to MBK shopping center.

I agree with James that Ayuthaya is a wonderful day trip. I've not take the boat, as we have friends in BKK with a car who take us around, but there are friends of ours who have taken the Oriental boat and loved it!

(it's pronounced eye-YOU-tee-yuh, just in case you wondered... I know I usually give hints to my readers when I write newspaper travel articles so thought I'd include one here)

My son has taken a day to go golfing with friends outside the city and always has had a great time. Don't know if this would be of interest to you or not. Oh, by the way... there is a golf course adjacent to the airport runways!!!

Carol
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

James and Carol: Thank you.. are there any other trips - No, we don't golf - figure it ruins a good walk! Will definitely plan on Ayuthaya. Do you know the name of the tailor and will you share it?
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 11:28 PM

You must go on a day trip to the River Kwai. We went on one through our hotel. You go to the Jade Museum which is a reconstruction of a camp hut which houses photos and memories from survivors. Then you are taken to one of the cemeteries, beautifully kept( I defy anyone to remain unmoved here). Finally you are taken to the Bridge, which you can walk over( a bit precarious!). The Bridge visit is timed so that go back to the station platform and wait a few minutes for the train which takes you over the bridge and onwards for about half an hour- that was a great part of the tour.I can't remember how long it took to get to the museum= but it was at least 2 hours( maybe 2 and a half). Don't let that put you off!
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 06:57 AM

Skaye,
My tailor is Mr Mack at Boss Tailors. He is located at the bottom of the stairs (farthest corner) at the National Stadium skytrain station. He is on the opposite side of the train tracks from MBK shopping center and next to a Mini Mart. I'm sure Mr Mack would be happy to make items for you! I just wore my favorite black silk tailored trousers yesterday. They always look sooo nice. He also made a couple of the longer style jackets for me, which I also enjoy wearing.
Let me know if I can answer any other questions.
Carol
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks one and all - I have other questions but will do a separate post - sure James will know the answer!! Cannot tell you how much we are looking forward to this trip.