Darjeeling Club

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darjeeling Club

Am traveling to Darjeeling for the first time next month with family, although this is my second trip to India. I saw the picture and read in Lonely Planet that the Darjeeling Club (The Planters)is open for foreign travelers if it is not booked by members. If anyone has ever stayed there, can you comment on what is was like? Any other recommendations for Darjeeling? During my last trip, by accident of my plane seatmate, I ended up staying in the Cricket Club in Bombay, and received thereby a wonderful peek into upper class Indian life at a very reasonable price. I then discovered that if one is armed with a letter of introduction from a private club from home, doors open to almost all Indian clubs; but even if you don't belong to one at home, Indian clubs are very accomodating to foreigners if you inquire ahead.
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 06:52 PM

We stayed at the Windamare Hotel and loved it - I liked it enough to want to go back soem day only for the hotel and not the city! It is prob a bit more expensive than the Club but a great experience. As July is off season you can write directly to the hotel and see if you can negotiate a rate. www.windamerehotel.com
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sameera. I tried several times to email the Mayfair, even used their on-line reservation, and never received a response. Since it is off-season late July, I think I will just do all on the ground and check it out in person. Windamere is definitely an option.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:14 PM

This post certainly brought back memories! We spent three weeks in India in 1992/93 and made full use of the reciprocal Clubs that were available.

In Calcutta we stayed at the Tollygunge Club, the former home of Tipu Sultan and became involved in a point to point. We also dined at the Saturday Club, housed in what was a British Cavalry Mess.

In Madras we stayed at the Presidency Club, a modern building where we had one of the best meals that we enjoyed in India. We lunched at the Madras Cricket Club.

On to Bombay where we stayed at the Royal Bombay Yacht Club, the view from our room was through the Gateway to India, infinitely better than the view from Taj Mahal Hotel which costs many times what we paid. Again the food was good, I still remember a remarkable Parsee mutton dish. We also visited the Gymkhana Club and lunched whilst we watched the cricket.

If you can arrange access to the Clubs you have a cheap way to travel and they are great for meeting Indians and getting good advice.

Old Nov 8th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Recently returned from India. See my posting on the "Gymkhana Club" question. The Gymkhana Club in Darjeeling is in pretty sad shape, as is the Planter's Club. We stayed at the Mayfair, which was wonderful. We never wanted to leave! Beautiful surroundings, friendly staff, and fabulous food.