DANGEROUS HOTEL IN PHUKET

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please be extra careful if you decide to stay at the ANDAMAN WHITE BEACH HOTEL in Phuket. Although it is a nice hotel, on a lovely beach, it is extremely dangerous. The hotel is full of stairs, there is no elevator, the stairs are painted dark brown, there is no lighting, no yellow paint marking each step and you have to walk up and down to get to breakfast, to get to the lobby, to get to the beach. We had to walk up 3 flights of stairs to get to our room from the beach. Our stay ended with my missing just one step on our 3rd. evening, falling down, breaking two toes and my LEFT HIP ! This happened in February. I was taken after an agony of almost 2 hours to the Phuket International Hospital where I was operated on, but instead of replacing my whole hip, they inserted a partial replacement. Back home after 10 days in Phuket Hospital, the prosthesis was INFECTED ! Have suffered 2 more operations since then and am still unable to walk until a further operation at the end of June.
The Andaman White Beach Hotel had NO doctor on call, nobody speaks proper English at the front desk, the general manager couldn´t care less, he never once called to see what had happened but instead, charged us in full for the night that I fell and spent at the hospital.
Please be careful so that you do not have to go through the ordeal that I am going through.
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:24 AM

I've been reading the reviews of this place on Tripadvisor. Nobody mentions what a death-trap it is. There is this mention about six pages in: 'There are quite a few stairs so difficult if you have mobility issues...' and that's it.

Then I looked at the website. The OP had many stairs cos they took the cheapest rooms [about $80 ish}. Which is not to say they deserved a broken hip. The hotel is a long way from anywhere. 30 mins in a cab to the nearest small town, according to a several posters in TA. Maybe that's why the doctors weren't exactly next door.

But blaming the hotel for your broken hip is kinda silly. The outcome of this whole story might just as well have been 'I missed one step and stubbed my toe.'

Actually, from an Asian hotelier's perspective, it WAS your fault: 'cos you were there. If you hadn't been there, staying in the cheapest room in the place, none of this would have happened. Simple. That you chose to break your hip rather than stub your toe was entirely up to you. That you were unable to walk up and down the same stairs that hundreds of happy holisaymakers have managed to negotiate for years without injury may say more about you than the hotel. I dunno.

The point of this ramble being..? Well, I'm sorry you've had a rotten time. But I reckon your healing will go better if you start thinking about what YOU did wrong, rather than spraying death and destruction in here. It's entirely pointless and smacks of frustration and revenge, rather than public service.

One sad lady wrote in to Trip Advisor in Sept 09, blaming that same hotel because her brother drowned in the sea in front of it.

I'm sorry you're angry and in pain. Now reflect on what you are actually angry AT. Some of the pain might go away.
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

For the above poster - we were NOT IN THE CHEAPEST ROOM, quite the contrary !!! And what I am trying to do is warn other people if they still decide to go to this hotel.

Also, for your info, there is a small town less than 5 minutes´walk from the hotel.

Besides, we had a car! We are well travelled people, not cheap backpackers as you imply.

What I dislike is the attitude of the management at this hotel. Had it been located in the U.S., it would have been a completely different story, thank you !!!!

Best regards from an American Airlines Platinum member !!!
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:48 AM

Calm. Calm. Reflect.

Messenger.

Don't. Shoot. The.

I don't want to catch your pain. Creepy. Keep it to yourself.
Old May 13th, 2010, 01:49 PM

Sorry to hear about your hard times. A broken hip can be very painful. I'm surprised about the hotel management. All of the hotels in Thailand seemed very concerned about our well-being. Generally, much more concerned than any American hotel.

At what time of day did your accident occur?
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:13 PM

I'm very sorry you have had to suffer so much, and that the person on duty was not as kind as I've found most Thai hoteliers. I am curious though, why you include medical problems that you had at the hospital as though the hotel was also responsible for that.

However, it appears that this happened on your THIRD evening. After three days of going up and down those stairs, you hadn't realized that you needed to go carefully?

Did you have travel insurance? This is a good reason to carry it in the future.
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:23 PM

I agree. I am really sorry for your situation. But if the hotel looked so bad, why did you remain there?

Although their staff certainly appears to have lacked compassion, perhaps your anger should be directed at the hospital for maintaining less than sterile conditions. Having said that, I am sure you are aware by now that infection is a common problem with joint replacement and it happens even in the "best" facilities. Did you know that hospital-acquired infections kill more Americans each year than AIDS, breast cancer and car accidents combined? (source is link below)

http://www.hospitalinfection.org/thirdworld.shtml

I am curious about your comment that THR is the protocol for hip fracture.

I wish you well. You will get better.
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:43 PM

Sorry to read about your unfortunate accident. I sure hope your recovery will now be short and complete.

I see the attorney missed that this accident happened on your third evening there,lol.

Is there a law in Thailand mentioning anything about yellow paint on stairs that I am somehow missing?

Had you been drinking any alcohol that evening before the accident?

Why did it take two hours to get you to the hospital?

Were you running down the stairs?

I don't understand how a capable person misses a step unless not paying attention or the stairs were built inadequately,sorry.

All I get from your story is that you were hurt and want to terribly bad mouth this hotel who just by your own account seems pretty innocent to me. It was your unfortunate accident and it seems to me like your fault.

I also don't understand that if no one spoke English at the hotel including the manager why you would be expecting a call from them. Do you speak any Thai that you would have understood what they would have said if they called?

Your story has a few huge gaping holes left out on purpose it seems and although you claim you have suffered terribly I would love to hear what the hotel management had to say about your incident.

A lesson learned I guess.....
Old May 13th, 2010, 04:50 PM

Something similar happened to my wife at the Baray Villa in Sawasdee Village at Kata beach. A year later, she is still feeling the effects. The villa was brand-new and beautifully appointed. She misjudged a step the first morning going down the teak stairs in our two-storey suite. She was wearing the slippers supplied with the room whose soles were a bit slippery. The edges of the dark treads were difficult to distinguish on the poorly lit stairs. There was no hand rail. The result was a fall, landing on her back, sliding down three stairs, with severe bruising and badly torn knee ligaments. If you lose your step on a stair like that, there is no way to avert or lessen the fall without a railing. It could have been much worse--see above.
One hotel staff member was solicitous, but the manager was mostly indifferent when the accident was reported. There was no followup inquiry. A doctor and pharmacist we went to in Kata Beach were superb. No hospital visit was needed, fortunately.
After an event like this you go over every detail of what happened, and how it could have been prevented, and what should be done to prevent such future accidents. But, realistically, something like this could happen anywhere.
So, when we got back to our own home in Canada, I did install the basement stair railing I'd been putting off doing.
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:39 PM

Safety features we take for granted here in the US, are often non-existent in certain other countries. I can speak only for India, but because it is very time consuming to sue someone or an entity (if you can sue them at all), the burden of liability is not recognized and so you will find the dark staircases with no railings, uneven pavement, and a whole host of other environmental hazards that can cause one to trip, fall, and get quite injured. If you get hurt, it's your problem whereas in the US, the property owner would likely be legally liable.

Sometimes the locals can't understand why we get upset about these kinds of safety issues. For them, dark staircases and other hazards are normal.
Old May 14th, 2010, 02:00 AM

HT-Evening is a wide time period. The level of light at a specific time and any lighting provided by the hotel could be huge factors in determining whether a proper level of care was provided. Like I said, "What time did the incident occur?"
Old May 14th, 2010, 03:00 AM

Also, if you had a car, why did you wait two hours before leaving for the hospital?
Old May 14th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all your comments and suggestions. Although we had a car, we could not leave because I was lying on the dark pathway full of stairs, one floor below reception and I was in excruciating pain, with a broken hip and toes. Had to wait until the ambulance arrived and they pulled me up on a wooden stretcher for the ride to the hospital.

I only posted this so that other probable guests were warned of the hazards this hotel poses. I fell in early evening, 7,30 pm. I was not drunk, and am not stupid. There was simply NO LIGHT so I missed the last step, confusing it with the dark brown colour of the rest of the walkway!!

I feel it is the hotel´s responsability to properly mark and light the steps in each staircase. Mind you, they are all different, different hight in the steps, different materials.

Once I had fallen, one of the bell boys, the only person who spoke correct English in the whole hotel, told me that the boys kept falling or nearly falling whenever they brought luggage to the rooms or room service. We were 2 couples and all of us tripped and nearly fell. I was the only one who ended up in the hospital. A misfortune which could easily have been avoided had the hotel installed proper lighting and safety measures.

Best of luck if you still decide to stay at the Andaman White Beach resort.
Old May 14th, 2010, 09:33 AM

<i>I don't understand how a capable person misses a step unless not paying attention or the stairs were built inadequately,sorry.</i>

Well, I certainly do.

As a few fodorites know, I was walking through Fanueil Hall last Friday night, stumbled on some 18th century cobblestones (damn those colonists), slammed my head against said cobblestones, broke two front teeth and have complete amnesia of the entire event and the prior 15 minutes, due to the interesting concussion I incurred. (details of the fall were supplied by the circle of observers).

I live two blocks from Fanueil Hall. I have walked over those exact same cobblestones a thousand times. This time was different. I fell.

I hike in the alps, I ski, I ice skate, I travel the world, I workout at the gym four times a week.

So, capable people can easily misstep. And instantly, everything can change.

I don't blame the colonists for my fall however, I blame my shoes. Damn Gucci. Damn.

rygsa647, I'm sorry this happened to you. Although my episode pales in comparison to yours, to be just going about your regular life and then to suddenly have everything change in 2 seconds is a shock and it is scary.

I hope you are feeling better now and this incident is in your rear view mirror.
Old May 14th, 2010, 10:50 AM

I look forward to the hotel's right of reply:

DANGEROUS TOURIST IN PHUKET

Please be extra careful if you accept a booking from a Ms. Rygsa647 in Phuket. Although she is a nice lady, with a lovely husband, she is extremely dangerous...
Old May 14th, 2010, 11:31 AM

I'm with you, Boston. I think we are all afflicted with episodes of undifferentiated klutziness from time to time. Certainly, I am. But I do recognize that it's my own damn fault.
Old May 14th, 2010, 01:14 PM

Pnadas are amazingly light on their large feet.

I'm of two minds about this thread. On the one hand, I agree that a frequently used path should be lit. It's only common sense. On the other hand, I'm aware that after walking on a path a few times, I'm supposed to become knowledgeable about the tricky parts. Who knows where this incident falls in between these concepts. I am sorry that the OP suffered needlessly. I can assure her that my universal experience with asian hotels is that they go out of their way to address every issue.

Dogster- when Bob and I travel together there is an Asian-wide alert to be on the lookout for two large, loud Americans demanding to see the general manager. What is the usual Dogster BOLO?
Old May 14th, 2010, 01:22 PM

Well, I'm klutzy as well. I tripped over uneven sidewalks in Bangkok on the very first day of my very first trip there, when I was on the way to the Grand Palace to have a look. Due to my unfortunate 'accident' I went instead to Wat Pho for a 1-hour food massage, and it worked wonders on my very badly sprained ankle.

To the OP, I'm sorry your incident was not as easy to overcome as mine. But I certainly learned to keep my eyes on the sidewalk (or stairway, or whatever)!! And I do completely understand how accidents can happen.
Old May 14th, 2010, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"I don't understand how a capable person misses a step unless not paying attention or the stairs were built inadequately, sorry."

I also agree with Boston. I still remember falling on stairs in an Istanbul restaurant. The bottom step was the same color as the floor, and I thought it WAS the floor... I wound up touring Turkey on crutches. But it didn't occur to me to bad-mouth the restaurant.
Old May 14th, 2010, 01:54 PM

Why am I envisioning dear old AskOksana now? Hmm...

BTW, what exactly is "correct English"? Let's not forget, you were in a foreign country. Their country, mind you. So if they speak English to accommodate you, you should be grateful...not criticize their grasp of the language.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -