Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Current situation in Tbilisi and Georgia as a whole

Old Jun 2nd, 2022, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My partner and I have been planning to come to Georgia in summer for a while now. It is planned to stay in Tbilisi for a week and then head off to a round trip of almost the entire country, traveling by rented jeep. We are super excited and can't wait to embark on this adventure in your beautiful country

With the current situation in Ukraine, we have heard quite some negative news in regards to the overall situation in Georgia, it being overrun by refugees and people who just want to get out of Ukraine / Russia respectively.

As my partner is half-African, we are also having some concerns in this regards. Russia and Ukraine are places, we would have not wanted to visit for obvious reasons. With so many Ukrainians and Russians allegedly in Georgia now, this creates some additional uncertainty.

We are really unsure how to assess all of this information, is it exaggerated, is it safe? We would love to understand better, how it really is, and what effect all of this is having on the overall situation in the country, i.e. better understand the overall "climate" in the country, the attitude of its people.

Looking forward to any / all help we can get.