Cormorant Fishing in August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving for Japan in a week and one night we are in Tokyo we would like to see Cormorant Fishing. How do we arrange this? Do we need to buy tickets? Thanks!
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 06:04 PM

this is a good question for hanuman...maybe he has not left for europe yet??
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 02:00 AM

Bob,

Hello from boiling hot Doha, Qatar. I think Melissa is referring to commercial fishing in Japan using the Cormorant bird to catch fish. I'm a recreational deep sea fishermen and we only use bird to spot where our targets are feeding.

Sorry Melissa!
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 10:33 AM

When we were in Kyoto (not Tokyo) four summers ago, we somehow booked an outing to see cormorant fishing. It must have been widely advertised because it was my first time in Kyoto so we weren't particularly clever about looking for unusual opportunities. Perhaps we booked it through the central tourist office where I recall spending time, or perhaps through our hotel.

The trip wound up being canceled owing to severe thunderstorms so I cannot comment on the experience -- can only remark that it was offered in Kyoto in summer 2004.

I wasn't devastated by the cancellation since the concept was a little unsettling. I was trying to have an open mind about it.

I wonder if you will be staying the whole time in Tokyo...
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 07:49 PM

Cormorant fishing or "ukai" is not done in Tokyo to my knowledge. I have done some research on it but never had enough interest to pursue it.

It's mostly done for tourist on the Uji river in Kyoto and the Nagara river in Gifu.

http://tinyurl.com/6edefo

Aloha!
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 03:16 AM

Gifu, I think is where you need to head for. Around two hours from Tokyo.
Rail: Bullet train (shinkansen) to Nagoya on Japan Rail Tokaido Shinkansen Line, then 20 min by local train from Nagoya to Gifu.

Bus: Services from JR Gifu Station or Meitetsu Gifu Station to Nagara Bridge (Nagara-bashi) then short walk.

Gifu Cormorant Fishing Viewing Boat office (Tourist Info)
1-2 Minato-machi
Gifu
Japan

Tel +81 (0)58 262 0104.

Visitors travel to the Nagara River in Gifu to watch the incredible nighttime spectacle of fisherman fishing with cormorants. Using an ancient art that dates back over 1,300 years, cormorants dive under water emerging with fish up to 35cm (1ft) in length. A neckband placed over the bird's neck prevents it from swallowing the fish and the fisherman then harvest the catch. This incredible hereditary art is passed from generation to generation and the tools of the trade are preserved as national assets. Fishing takes place at night and birds are kept on short leashes so that they remain within the circle of torchlight.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

I'm sorry my bad. I didn't hear about it in Tokyo I heard about it outside of Kyoto, in Arashiyama on the Oi River. Unfortunately we are not going to Gifu, but we will be in Kyoto for 4 nights. Any ideas about the cormorant fishing in Arashiyama? Thanks!!
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 09:45 AM
kja

Hi, Melissaeric -

For ukai in Kyoto, see:

http://www.kyoto.travel/events/ukai.html

Enjoy!