Search

Corbett or Ranthambore for family

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corbett or Ranthambore for family

Hi
I am trying to plan a first trip to India. I have tried to check out the forums and find threads, but it gets exhausting. So, I am posting and asking for your help. Sorry that this will be lengthy.

I am planning on travelling to India in late Apr. with my husband and two kids aged 12 and 15. We will fly into Delhi for about 11-12 days. We would like to do some wildlife viewing in addition to the cultural touring. My husband wants to visit Rishikesh and so we could do Corbett easily. I am having a hard time understanding the options for accommodation and the ways to book. Dhikala seems to be what everyone suggests. Is this a good place for a family? I assume there are not individual tents or cottages, but a large building? I did go to their website, but again, it is not terribly clear.

In Ranthambore, I would likely choose something like Khem Villas (they seem to have availability). Are there places like that in Corbett?

I am open to using a tour operator. I checked out Joint Adventures. I have also contacted Enchanting India. If anyone has any good tour operator recommendations, I would truly appreciate it. With kids especially, I don't want TOO many surprises.

Sorry for the long post. Hoping you knowledgeable folks will be kind enough to help me out!

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 05:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ranthambore is better in terms of Tiger sighting and also in terms of Hotels infra-structure...

But Corbett is more in line with Rishikesh and quite close to each other.

I would suggest use a good agent to sort out your itinerary issues....I recommend yatrik.com in Delhi. Many of my friends have used them earlier - www.yatrik.com.

All the best - hope you have a nice holiday.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I noticed another reference to yatrik.com, so I will contact them to see what they say.

Interesting that you say Ranthambore is better for tiger sightings...lots of other posters seem to say that Corbett is great. I guess it is all just a matter of luck. Anyone else out there want to weigh in?
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 06:12 PM

Paris Kid,
We were in Ranthambore in April of this year and had a great time. I can't speak to the comparison with Corbett. I have to tell you it was very, very hot but that's a good thing for tiger viewing, We saw lots of tigers, eight in total and had good sightings on all three of our drives.

WE stayed at Khem Vilas which was fabulous. It's run by a wonderful couple who run a conservation oriented ngo and are involved with tiger preservation...his father was one of the tiger wallahs involved in the foundation of the park. They are involved with a number of important projects, they have founded a local school and hospital and are extraordinary people. We toured the school and hospital with usha and were impressed by their approach to conservation and development.

Have a look at the review on tripadvisor.

With four of you you could book all six seats and ensure you had a private jeep.

Have fun!

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 11:49 PM

Hi Pariskid,

For tour operators, please check Indianpanorama. It's a great company (they helped with my India trip in so many ways) and a great website.

I'm certain Faith Pandian, the company director, can give you and your family what you want, = for a great price.

http://indianpanorama.in/

There are sample tours on the page, but Faith and her staff are flexible, and knowledgeable, and will offer suggestions in helping put together what will suit you.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. Well traveled Brit...thanks particularly for the info on Ranthambore in April. We are definitely going to do that park and may well stay in Khem Villas. Thanks for idea of reserving the whole jeep for the 4 of us. That would be key. I will have to make sure that the agency that we work with will ensure that. I contacted a couple of agencies (Indian Panorama and Yatrik and Enchanting India) and they have all suggested Ranthambore over Corbett. I now need to figure out who to use and our exact itinerary.

I have had a snafu with using miles to get to India (natually) and now it seems we will have to fly into Delhi and out of Mumbai. Not my desired choice, but it is what is available using miles. Our trip is so short (4/15-25) that I don't want to spend time in Mumbai...but will have to get there, I guess. Indigo seems to have cheap flights.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 11:06 PM

The two parks you mention are poles apart in the way of both flora & fauna! I will give you a picture of Corbett as Ranthambhore is well represented on our forum.
Corbett is closer up north to Rishikesh & will be approximately 175 miles to Dhikala. It is the most beautiful park & well managed in northern India. You stay inside the park & that adds to the pleasure of listening to the jungle calls...you could just trace the path a carnivora has taken from such calls! Your kids will love it. As Corbett has a number of rivers inside, the birdlife (nearly 500 species of the most clourful) / animal life is amazing. Btw, elephants, otters & mahaseer fish are missing altogether in Ranthambhore. Spotting a tiger is a matter of luck, in both of the parks or anywhere else.
Dhikala locates on the high bank of the river Ramganga with a cluster of cottages. Dhikala is recommended as it is in the core area & has a vegetarian restaurant. For a keen wildlifer, Corbett is 'the' place to be in. The kids could also do some angling outside of the park at Marchula. April is great time to go after the mahaseer. However, accomodation is quite basic & April end could be warm for there are no airconditioners & only room coolers in those rooms. There is the old FRH right in the centre of accomodation & aneexees / cabins spread along the escarpment. There is a small library which contained some very old books presented by FW Champion & field marshall E.Roberts, the man who taught Jim Corbett how to take an unhurried shot!!
Happy Hunting!