Reload this Page >

CONCERNED ABOUT STOPOVER IN KL

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 11:02 PM
Rhonda

Hi there <BR> <BR>I'm planning a trip for my mother-in-law and step children in December and on their way to London I have booked a three night stop-over in KL. My husband is concerned now given that over the weekend we have seen reports on the news of the Muslim community demonstrating/protesting in KL over US attacks on Afghanistan. <BR> <BR>They're booked into a hotel in central KL. Obviously we would never want to put them at risk but I wanted to ask people who lived there what the situation currently is. I realise that things could change before December but I guess we need to start thinking about changing fares etc. (which I doubt will be possible). <BR> <BR>Looking forward to some local feedback. <BR> <BR>Regards <BR>Rhonda

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 11:25 PM
Jen

See my response to "OK to travel to Malaysia (KL)." <BR> <BR>I live in KL. It is safe. I would leave the country if it weren't.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 11:27 PM
Jen

Is Pat your mother-in-law? I just emailed her. If so, and it's media reports of riots that you are worried about, those reports were sensationalist and not founded in reality. There was a demonstration in front of the US Embassy. That's all.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 01:10 AM
Rhonda

Jen <BR> <BR>Yes, Pat is my mother-in-law. After I posted this message I then looked down the list and saw your response to a similar question..Silly me. Thanks..I value your opinion. I saw your response to Pat's first posting and thought how helplful it was. Since then I've been posting on the European Forum with regard to our planned trip to Paris with Pat and the children. I'm really enjoying reading a lot of the Fodors posts. <BR>Strangely enough Pat just phoned as I was typing this. I think the children's mother is very concerned about them travelling given the recent media reports. Their Dad is too of course but I guess we'll wait and see how things develop and if the Australian Government issue any warnings with regard to travelling to KL. Once again thanks for your input..it is certainly better hearing reports from a "local". I think the media do tend to sensationalise. Goodness knows there have been demonstrations in London and a lot of other cities but it wouldn't stop me from travelling to London. Stay safe. <BR>Kind regards. Rhonda

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 12:04 AM
Winnie

Hi Rhonda, <BR> <BR>By all means, please come in December. I'm a Malaysian Chinese living in Kuala Lumpur. Dont let that little demonstration at the US Embassy scare you. All that they created was traffic jam. We went about our daily life like usual. The nightspots are still packed. <BR>Malaysia is a peaceful country and I am very much saddened by those malicious reports in the foreign media and I had to explain to my foreign friends that this is Malaysia, not Indonesia. Our police acts very quickly to disperse gatherings that may potentially escalate into something 'bad'. We are educated people here so most of us are law abiding citizens( like anywhere else in the world, they are bound to have some naughty ones among us). We are very aware that we need foreigner's 'funds' whether in terms of tourist dollar or investment so we will not do anything to jeopardise that. I read in the papers today that our <BR>hotels has experience a 15% drop in occupancy this month. Except for the wet weather, everything's fine here...the food's great...the people are friendly and helpful Most stuff are relatively cheap...where else can you get all these??? If you need other first hand information, feel free to post it here. I'll try to help. BTW, which part of KL will your family be staying?. The Bukit Bintang area will be very nice and there are various hotels here that suits everyone's budget. <BR>

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 05:34 PM
Janice

HI Rhonda, <BR>The media tends to over-exagerate and focus on "bad" things. I have been living in KL for the past 20 years. <BR>It is quite safe here. <BR> <BR>The demonstration outside the US Embassy was a very small & peaceful one, organised by one of the opposition party (PAS). Typical political stuff, trying to win votes. They have their say but everyone goes back to their normal routine afterwards. <BR> <BR>If your children have not been in an Asian country before, it would be an interesting experience for them in terms of culture, food and diveristy. I agreed with Winnie. Bukit Bintang is the IN place. Very lively in the evening and lots of shopping. <BR> <BR>Lots of foreigners here, they won't feel out of place or get stared at. MOst of the locals are quite friendly and everyone speaks English. <BR> <BR>Don't let the media reports stop your original plans for your children. If KL is that dangerous, all the foreign embassies and national companies would have moved out by now. <BR> <BR>Have wonderful time. <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR>Janice

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Rhonda

Janice and Winnie<BR><BR>Thank you so much for your posts. I've only just read them. At this point my step-children and mother-in-law will still be travelling to KL for a stopover in the middle of December although my husband and his ex-wife are quite concerned about it. Had we been able to change the flights (heavily booked at that time of year) to eliminate a stop-over in KL I think they would have opted to do so. I feel quite sure everything will be OK..I guess it is just different peoples perception of KL. Believe it or not...a well educated and well travelled fellow told my husband today that he wouldn't want to be in Malayasia (even KL) at present. I can't understand this kind of attitude. Is everything still OK in your opinion? Hope to hear from you again soon.<BR><BR>Regards<BR><BR>Rhonda

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Rhonda

Sorry I meant to mention that they'll be staying in the "golden triangle" area of KL. Will this be OK? Anything to tell us about this particular area...good places to eat/shop etc. What should they be wary of if anything at all?<BR>Thanks for your help in anticipation.<BR>Regards<BR>Rhonda

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Janice

HI Rhonda,<BR><BR>The golden triangle is right in the middle of the city. It's quite safe and lively at night. My only complain is the peak hour traffic. If your children plan their itinerary well and avoid using that stretch of roads during the peak hours (8.00-9.00am and 5-6.30pm) they will be all right. Why join in the locals in their mad rush to get to the office/home?<BR><BR>There are many hotels in that area, depending on your budget. If your hotel is located at Jln Bukit Bintang or Jln Sultan Ismail, you can shop at places like Lot 10, Starhill & Sungai Wang.<BR>Starhill - mostly branded stuff<BR>Lot 10 - mixture of branded labels and local<BR>Sungei Wang - most of the locals shop here. Departmental & variety of smaller shops.<BR><BR>KLCC is also located at the Golden Triangle (GT) and is a must visit.Spectacular view of the Petronas Twin Towers (tallest building in the world at the moment.)The shopping there is great as well.<BR><BR>Another shopping place is Mid Valley Megamall. It's the biggest mall in South East Asia and only about 20 minutes from the GT. <BR><BR>Don't worry about food. MOst of the malls have nice food court and restaurant where you can have a variety of local & international food. (Try the ones at KLCC & Lot 10).If that doesn't appeal to your kids, MCDonalds, KFC,Delifrance, Kenny Rogers, Pizza Hut, Coffee Bean, etc are almost everywhere. I'll say be adventurous and try the local food. It'll be a culinary experience they will not forget.<BR><BR>Another good place to look around & shop is the Chinatown open market at night. Lots of branded imitation goods.Good for hunting souvenirs/gifts. The key word here is to bargain. The stall holders will jack up the price for foreigners. If you are interested in an item, look around and get a feel of the prices at different stalls. (For eg. an imitation Gucci watch you can get away with RM 30 even though the tag may say RM 150). DON'T BE AFRAID TO BARGAIN. Part with only what you feel comfortable for any specific item. Also hold on to your wallets & beware of pick pockets.<BR><BR>Central Market is only about 10 minutes walk from Chinatown. You can see avariety of local crafts there.<BR><BR>I'll say do Central Market first. The shops there close at 10pm and then go over to Chinatown market. The open stalls there trade up to 12pm. KL is an interesting city at night if you know where to go.<BR><BR>BTW, the ride from KL International Airport to town is about 1 hour. <BR>It's also rainy season now so do expect some torrential down pour. Otherwise, shorts & t-shirts should do. It's quite humid here if you are not use to tropical weather.<BR><BR>Your fellow traveller friend is definitely over reacting. KL now is as usual a busy & NORMAL city. I don't know what more I can say.<BR><BR>Hope the above info helps. If you need anymore, pls let me know.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR>Janice <BR><BR>

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 07:40 PM
amber

Hi Rhonda,

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 10:29 PM
amber

Hi Rhonda,<BR>Let me reensure you that Malaysia or KL is very very safe place for your mother-in-law and your step children to visit. I've been telling a thousand times to my foreign friends who visit me at all time and my country has never fail to proved it right.<BR>In fact, Janice & wennie has already giving you a good overview about KL.<BR>That only "Bangsar" they miss out, Bangsar, just outside the city limits, it's 2 or 3 blocks of bars, cafes and restaurants that cater to a variety of tastes ( in fact, so many expatriates hang out there, I usually hang out there too !) If hapen you visit Bangsar during Sunday evenning, pls check out the "Pasar Malam" (Night Market) Here you'll not only find delicious and exotic local foods and get a wanderfull experience out of it. <BR>Back in down town, my favorite restaurant is "BON TON " The restaurant served Asian mix cuisine, but you'll find it served in some pretty trendy settings. I highly recommended that you try out this restaurant, it's located in between the GT and KLCC.<BR>Regards,<BR>amber

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 10:50 PM
qiu

I travel to KL every month and I assure it is safe, safe, safe. It is safer than most cities in the US. You can walk around after midnite and nothing will happen to you. The only part of M'sia which is considerd unsafe is the islands off Sabah due to the recent spate of kidnapping by Filipino pirates.They don't just kidnap americans but anybody for the money.And Sabah is 1500 miles away!<BR><BR>You should be more worried about what's there to do in KL (other states have more to offer) than the safety issue.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 10:59 PM
Rhonda

Dear Janice and Amber<BR><BR>Thank you so much for your postings. I guess I was convinced a long time ago that KL is a safe and wonderful city. I've not been as yet but will certainly be making it a stop-over next time I travel home to Australia. I'm sure the information you have given will be very useful and also reassuring to my mother-in-law and husband. I've appreciated all the input from contributors to this forum but it is nice to have recent responses given that the world situation is ever changing.<BR><BR>Thanks again for your wonderful advice.<BR><BR>Kind regards<BR><BR>Rhonda