I want to hug a panda

Search

I want to hug a panda

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to hug a panda

At the Chengdu Panda Research & Breeding Preserve, is it possible to sit next to a panda and actually touch it, or even hug it? One tour company I looked at said the preserve "occasionally" allows close contact with a panda. Does anyone know how I can contact the research center/preserve to find out if I can have a close encounter with a panda? I can't find a contact email on their web site.
Thanks
Sue
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 02:44 AM

I'm sure you can sit next to a Gpanda and touch it! Beware that it will be wearing a Speedo.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 04:32 AM

Yes, it is possible. You do not have to be part of a tour group. I believe the price is 1000 Yuan (about US$130), and you will get 3-5 minutes contact time with a panda. All of this information is from reports of people who have visited.

I'll be going there in April '09. I will be very careful to conduct a voir dire with the panda before having any physical contact, just to be sure that the beast has never chased an ambulance. Still, just to be on the safe side, I will have one hand on my wallet at all times.

I don't know any way to contact the Chengdu Center.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Jed

5 years ago we went to the panda center. We paid 200 yuan, about $25, so Mrs. Jed could hold the panda babies for a few minutes, and I took about 10 pictures. It was well worth it, but any more than that I would think is exorbitant.

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/344064/index.html
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 07:59 AM

Who doesn't?
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Jed

&quot;....I would think is exorbitant.&quot; I should add <i>And I wouldn't pay it.</i>

Some people would.

&quot;At Chengdu, the only interaction they offer with the panda cubs is just to sit next to one and have a picture taken. This was 1000 yuan per person at Chengdu&quot;

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35087440 99800
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 08:41 AM

If you look for Hawaiian Traveler's report on their China trip, you'll find that Mrs. HT did hold a panda, and HT took lots of photos. Mrs HT looks sooooooo happy.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 08:45 AM
pat

Didn`t Samantha Brown hold panda babies on a recent show? She did say it was quite expensive.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 09:58 AM

But do the pandas want to be hugged, and is this the right way to be treating animals nominally being bred for re-introduction to the wild?

You'll find no official information on panda hugging and prices for doing so because, of course, such things are not officially allowed. What you are doing is paying a bribe for your inappropriate panda interaction and the amount of bribe will tend to rise until it reaches the maximum a tourist seems willing to pay. This money will go into the pockets of the staff, and not towards care of the pandas.

No doubt this will be unwelcome to those desperate for a cute little cuddle, but in the interests of the animals and in not becoming a party to corruption, you'd be better to think again.

Peter N-H
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 11:31 AM

<i><b>This money will go into the pockets of the staff, and not towards care of the pandas.</b></i>

Peter N-H, I have heard from multiple, independent sources that the money paid (invariably by Westerners) goes directly to maintaining the breeding centers in Chengdu and Wolong. Is your statement about the money going into the workers' pockets based on informatio that you have, or is it based on a general assumption that you choose to make?

Peter, Westerners are also able, on occasion to do volunteer work at the centers (especially Wolong). DO you also contend that such volunteering is similarly a scam?

cheers,

--rizzuto
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 07:59 PM

SanDiegoSue,

Don't mind Peter NH....he just wants people to join his personal China website so he tries to be controversial to get attention. Ignore him.

Yes you can hug and cuddle a baby panda. You can read all about it if you are interested in my trip report below. It will tell you how to get the tour if you want. Check March 27 post and a follow up answer post to Karen after the 27th which explains more in depth

If you want to see the pictures just send me an email to pgomes8721 at aol dot com and I will send you and invite to see them

http://tinyurl.com/37hwc3

Aloha!
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 09:53 PM

&gt; I have heard from multiple, independent sources that the money paid (invariably by Westerners) goes directly to maintaining the breeding centers in Chengdu and Wolong.

Needless to say this is the polite fiction in which all would like to believe in order to justify what they do, so perhaps you could detail these independent sources and the nature of their authority.

But you might like in the meantime to consider that these centres are not petting zoos, but are supposedly in the business of helping to preserve an endangered species, increase its numbers, and return animals to the wild. Having them fondled by humans is obviously contrary to best practice to say the least, and the fact that there is no formal written offer of this service, that the fee charged is a month's (or two months') salary for many there, and that it is in cash with no receipt or ticket, should tell you rather a lot, as should the fact that the fee mentioned in one account is four times the fee in another.

In the case of one centre UNESCO has an interest under the World Heritage programme, and when I mentioned the clandestine panda hugging arrangements to one official he was rightly horrified, but said all he could do was to bring this to the attention of the relevant authorities.

There is nothing remotely controversial or unusual about the viewpoint that no one should be party to procedures that put stress on the animals or that encourage corruption and the frequent repetition of that stress. But undoubtedly there are many who will not want to hear this said.

Setting aside the inaccuracy and entirely pointless and unnecessary bile of the posting immediately above, even the account to which it links, in other respects a text-book account of how to be taken to the cleaners at every opportunity while travelling in China, places the word 'donation' in inverted commas, apparently frankly acknowledging the truth of the matter, that this is indeed a bribe to be allowed to do something improper.

Peter N-H
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 09:55 PM

see what I mean.....it needs to feed its ego and doesn't really care about you or your question....just ignore it and it usually goes away after it rants on and on in circles for a bit....
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 02:37 AM

SanDiegoSue:

Others of us endorse and completely support Peter NH's analysis so you have elicited some very different points of view on this issue.

Having educated ourselves a little about the economic basis for these practices, and having thought a bit about what it is one hopes to get from such an interaction, we have decided against hugging pandas, petting tigers, and such.

Please look into this a little more and make the right decision for you.

Know that there are close observation opportunities at Chengdu -- I have not been but have seen my husband's photos and heard his account of how close an approach to the animals is permitted. After you think about it awhile, you may conclude that you will be very delighted with observing the pandas at a close, respectful distance. Since you are brimming with enthusiasm about this, you might ultimately find out that a leisurely amount of time in close proximity to the animal, with the opportunity to
observe, is more satisfying than a quick &quot;hug.&quot;

It's up to you.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 05:18 AM

what does all this have to do with hugging gpanda??

he needs constant reinforcement and praise
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Jed

Bob - How much did you pay to hug gpanda?
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Some excellent points were made. I'm putting new thoughts into this and will let you know what we decide to do.
Sue
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Amy

Sue, when I visited the Panda Reserve they had the photo op with &quot;holding&quot; the pandas, and let's just say that the pandas in there did not look nearly as happy as the ones hanging out eating bamboo. (Not to sound like a prig, but I'm also not an advocate of the &quot;animal touch&quot; experiences or caged swimming with certain species.) There are some pictures here of the ones that you get to see without any extra fee if you'd like a sneak preview:
http://travel.webshots.com/album/420...l&amp;start=48

(they're on page 5 of the album; I used a whole lotta film there.)

And, not that Mr. N-H needs my defense, but I do have to say that his advice and that of the Oriental-List members made my journey to China much easier than it would have otherwise been. I'm certainly grateful to Fodors posters, too, but a board dedicated to one country is generally going to be more informative than a general Asia forum. (Just as indiamike.com was so very helpful on my most recent trip.)
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 03:50 PM

One of the strengths of this forum is that regulars can strongly disagree, but still provide their opinions in a way that newcomers can make their own decisions. The sniping is usually relatively mild.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 06:04 PM

What people don't realize is that Pandas are vicious. They aren't so cute when they're maiming the hell out of someone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -