Chinese New Year

Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chinese New Year

Can someone please let me know the date of Chinese New Year? I don't want to miss it!!
Thank you. Pat
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 09:22 AM

It's Feb 18th (later than usual)
Sue
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 02:48 PM

Chinese New Year (Spring Festival or Chun Jie)

New Year's Day is the one greatest annual event in Chinese social and
political life. In ancient China, an Imperial birthday, even an Imperial marriage, pales before the important hour at which all sublunary affairs are supposed to start afresh, every account balanced and every debt paid. The New Year marks the beginning of the lunar year. The date varies from year to year from the end of January to the beginning of February. It is usually celebrated in late January or early February, according to the traditional Chinese lunar calendar. This festival starts a new cycle and celebrates the arrival of spring. People who live away from home return to spend the holiday with their families. For several weeks before the New Year begins. About ten days prior to the holiday, all public business is nominally suspended; People start shopping for New Year gift and sending beautiful red cards with good wishes to their friends and relatives.

detail:
http://www.spotlightchina.com/custom..._festival.html
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 06:42 PM

Just to clarify a bit, the first day of the New Year is February 18 2007. However, the holiday is officially celebrated in most places over 3 days, which means most people have 3 days off and most shops and restaurants will be closed on those days, other than hotel restaurants. In 2007 this is complicated a bit because the first day of the New Year is a Sunday (which is not a workday in most countries), so many places are giving an "extra" public holiday. In Hong Kong, for example, the public holidays for Chinese New Year run from Saturday February 17 through Tuesday February 20. I think this will be the case in Taiwan and Singapore as well, and could be the case in the PRC.

The fireworks are generally held on the second night (i.e. February 19, but check locally) so this is a good night to be someplace where they will be offered.

I would avoid traveling by train or plane between Hong Kong and the mainland on those days and many hundreds of thousands of people will be visiting relatives then.

In Hong Kong, there is a great flower market in Victoria Park that ends on the night before the first day of the New Year, which means it will end very late on the evening of February 17. If you can scheduled your trip to be in Hong Kong in time to see the flower market and to stay for the fire works that might be good.

This is about the only time in China, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taiwan when you will find shops and restaurants closed. As a very general rule, all shops and restaurants will be closed on the first and second day, some may start to open on the third. Smaller shops and restaurants may stay closed for a week or more. Museums and cultural sights are generally open regular hours other than perhaps the first day, check guidebooks and listings. You can usually find lots of other things to do in any given place, but if shopping is high on your list of things to do, you might want to plan your trip to arrive just before or after the New Year.

Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

A big THANK YOU to you all - I had planned to return on the 17th Feb. but will now have to try and stay a few extra days.

I omitted to add that I will be in the Philippines during this time but feel sure there will be celebrations in Manilla - especially in the Chinese quarter. I love fireworks!!

Many thanks. Pat
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Hi, Pat! Chinese New Year in the Philippines is a very toned down affair compared to China and Hong Kong. And unlike other countries, most Chinese-owned businesses and restaurants stay open since Chinese New Year is not a public holiday in the country. And since you love fireworks, remember that some displays are launched at the first hour of the Chinese "New Year's Day".
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:16 AM

It has been known in the past, same as the 5/1 and 10/1 holidays, employees in China get a week's holiday time at Chinese New Year.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:57 AM

Thanks for this great information! I am hoping to be in Kuala Lumpur around this time, and I wonder if anyone here knows whether the Chinese-owned shops and restaurants are to be closed.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 12:27 AM

Tanuki, most Chinese-owned shops will be closed in KL. The city will come almost to a stand still, which is not a bad thing because you can zip across the city in record time without traffic jams. 90% KLites are from other states and provinces. So, they usually take the opportunity to go back to their hometown during the Chinese New Year (CNY). If you're in KL one or two weeks before CNY, be sure to check out Petaling Street. The place will be riot of lanterns, lion dances and the street will be loaded with people busy shopping. Food wise, you can still eat at Malay, Indian, Thai or Western eateries. They will be opened thru out the holidays.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 08:35 AM

Thanks, TravelTwiddle. Maybe I will push the trip forward a few days so I can enjoy the lion dances and festive decor, and then move along to Borneo when much of KL is closed.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 06:25 PM

Going to Borneo, which part? Sarawak, Sabah or Indonesia's Kalimantan? By the way, most big towns like Miri, Sibu, Kuching, Kota Kinabalu or Sandakan are populated by Chinese too. But the good thing about Msia is, when one ethnic group is having a holiday, there are loads of other ethnic races who are still working.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 07:45 PM

TravelTwiddle, my tentative plan after KL is to spend a few days at a beach resort near Kota Kinabalu, then fly to the Borneo Rainforest Lodge in the Danu Valley. After that, a few days in Kuching, and finally a few days in Penang. It is really hard to narrow it down because Malaysia looks so fascinating, and there are so many other places I will have to miss! This will be my first trip, and I am trying to get an overview and squeeze in as much as feasible.