China Trip Report - July 07

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from my 3 week trip to China. It was my first time in Asia and it was simply amazing! I've traveled to many different countries but this had to be the most memorable trip I've ever taken. Thanks to everyone that has helped me plan my trip as everything went extremely smoothly.

To recap, here's my itinerary and where we stayed:

7/9: Depart US
7/10 - 7/16: Beijing (Holiday Inn Central Plaza)
7/16: Overnight train to Xi'an (soft sleeper)
7/17 - 7/18 : Xi'an (Bell Tower Hotel)
7/18 - 7/20: Yangshuo (Li River Retreat)
7/21 - 7/22: Longsheng Rice Terraces (Countryside Inn)
7/22 - 7/25: Yangtze River Cruise (President 4)
7/25 - 2/26: Beijing (Holiday Inn Central Plaza)
7/27: Fly home

I'm a little sad that the trip is all over but I am looking forward to sharing my trip highlights with others and answering any questions. I'll try to post more in the next few weeks.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 02:43 AM

Look forward to the details. A prompt report, hence no penalty.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:14 AM

travelgo7,

We followed your pre-trip postings because of similarities to our itinerary, with exception that we have inlcuded Lhasa instead of Li River area. We also have reservations on President 4 for Yangtze Cruise and would really aprpeciate a report on it. I have been looking at the message boards all summer for a mention of this specific boat.

We leave for China from US in late August.

How old is boat? Are accomodations comfortbale? How were the side trips, food, staff, etc.? Were passengers a mix of both Chinese and Western?
Have the China floods affected Yangtze cruises?

Any recommendations based on your expereience? Feel free to post response here or email directly at [email protected]
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:23 AM

travelgo7,

If you have time, could you please tell me your opinion of the Bell Tower Hotel. I know that the location is excellent. I need to make my reservation for Xian very soon.

Thanks,
Les
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

I would highly recommend the Bell Tower due to the very convenient location and reasonable price. I was able to get a standard room with a great view of the Bell Tower for only $60 online at elong.com and didn't have to pay in advance. The room was small but nice. I didn't eat at the hotel restaurant but did use the business center to access the internet. The cost was about $1 for 10 minutes.

As I was only in Xi'an for 1 1/2 days, the location made it very easy to get around. Everything is within walking distance. In addition to the Terracotta Warriors which is about 1 hour away, I would recommend going to the Muslim market. Also - if you're flying out of Xi'an, there's a convenient airport bus that leaves from the Melody Hotel (only a couple of blocks away from the Bell Tower Hotel). The bus fare was only considerably less than taking a tax to the airport. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

donnawolski -

See the link below for my feedback on the President Four boat. I'll also send you an email directly answering your other questions and can send you pictures of the boat if it helps.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=35019955
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 09:29 AM

travelgo7,

I'd be interested in more info about your visit to the rice terraces as that's a destination I'm thinking of including in a future trip.

Tks!

CanadaKate
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 10:12 AM

Hi Travelgo7,

Thank you for such a prompt reply.

I'm glad that your trip was so enjoyable.

Les
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 01:50 AM

Hi travelgo7
I am thinking of taking a trip to China (including a lot of the places you went to) and was wondering approx how much you spent per day on 'living' - food, accomodation, transport, entry expenses?
Was Beijing terribly expensive?
What do you think a good per person, per day budget would be? (staying in clean, reasonably central places and eating in cheap restaurants). I know this is a terribly difficult quesiton to answer, but I really have no idea about how much China will cost so any general help would be great!
Cookiescompanion
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 04:32 AM

ttt