China/Tibet - Independently

Apr 22nd, 2000, 08:01 PM
Roger

China/Tibet - Independently

My wife and I will be travelling to China in October for four weeks. We will travel independently, starting in Hong Kong. Do we need to book air and hotel in advance for cities in China, or can we 'wing' it ? Also, we are thinking about going to Tibet to try to trek independently. Has anyone done this ? We trekked independently in Nepal, and it worked out very well. How would Tibet compare ?

Apr 23rd, 2000, 02:01 PM
Michael

Hi,

Have traveled to China a lot. One can "wing it", however good negotiation skills are a must, and knowing the language is a plus. Lots of hotels are on the internet now, so advanced negotiation is easily done over the net.

Haven't traveled to Tibet, so cannot help you there. Airline tickets can be arranged thru your hotel or local airline offices and shouldn't be a problem. A train excursion from Hong Kong to say, Shanghai or Beijing would be a real experience.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have questions that you think of. And, October is the best time of year, just in case you didn't know that.

Apr 24th, 2000, 09:30 PM
Ricky

The hotel and air tickets can be booked at China Travel Service in Hong Kong offices or their web page. The prices are usually cheaper than those quoted in US or internet. Check the site:
http://www.ctshk.com/ctshk/english/index.htm

May 2nd, 2000, 11:57 AM
Siri Steidel

Hi!
I trekked in Tibet but it is so many years ago (15!), you better get some fresh advice. All I can say is DO IT! Tibet is still the most spiritual and exciting adventure I have ever done.

May 26th, 2000, 07:36 AM
helen

If I recall correctly, there is a law that one MUST have a guide for travel/trekking in Tibet, no matter how small the party. Any guidebook for the area must have more info--I'd check it out now, as I'd bet there's some paperwork, etc involved.

Search this Thread