Search

China - Nepal - India

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
China - Nepal - India

Hi,

I'm a solo backpacker and I intend to travel from China to India, crossing over via Nepal, over approximately 70 days. I haven't actually done much research about this (trip is likely next year) though I was wondering if it is feasible at all?

I intend to fly in to China and then work my way to India va public transport (trains and buses) and then fly out of India. As of now there aren't any must-see places yet, though I'm more interested in Southern China (to see the minorities) and Southern India (more truly Indian) than the big cities like Beijing and Shanghai or New Delhi.

If anyone has done anything similar, could you advice me on whether the time is sufficient? I'd like to know also how much I should expect myself to spend. I'll be staying in hostels (likely Hosteling International, or similar) and not spending on anything extravagant. The trip should be around February to April - it will be nice to see the Lunar New Year in China!

Thanks a lot!
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 04:28 AM

First, as a foreigner to China, you simply cannot just hop on a bus and get to India, because the only authorized China/India border crossing is at the Nathu La Pass in the Tibet Autonomous region, and a foreigner needs to get a Tibet Tourism Bureau permit to enter and travel around Tibet. To get that TTB permit, you need to use an authorized travel agent that will get you one, and they'll have a guide with you.

If you still want to do this, you should first research on the tour company to use, and check the cost for having them taking you into Tibet (fly, train or car) and take you to Nathu La Pass by a Toyota Landcruiser.

Second is timing. The 4,545m/14,900ft pass is only open from April to October.
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 04:31 AM

Sorry, I do see that you plan to go through Nepal. The road and passes are more accessible, but you still have to solve the issue with getting the TTB permit and having a tour company arrange your travel while inside Tibet.
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Nepal to India part is no problem, I did it last year on public transport - click on my name for my South Asia TR. As rkkwan says, China to Tibet is more problematic. You can often arrange your entry to Tibet on the ground in Kunming or Chengdu, but the situation is subject to change at the whim of the Chinese authorities. At least make sure you're not planning to visit Tibet around some sensitive anniversary.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Wow, that seems like too much of a hassle and a tad dangerous too. Maybe I should fly from China to India?
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 07:26 PM

It is not dangerous (unless you decide to risk going into a Chinese prison for not obtaining the appropriate permits for Tibet), and Tibet is an incredible place to visit. Only question is whether it's worth your hassle.