Search

China Airlines: SFO to Taipei Please Advise

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
China Airlines: SFO to Taipei Please Advise

Hi there,
We are scheduled to Fly on China Airlines (not China Air) in December. I am a bit concerned, as we booked before I realized (1) safety record; (2) old planes; and (3) no pre-assigned seats since our ticket is actually reserved through Vietnam Airlines - only the last 30 seats at the back of the plane are released to those of us booked this way, 24 hours before the flight.

I would love some feedback on people's experience with this airline or any advice on how to get a seat assignment. The airlines and travel agents said it is impossible until 24 hours before the flight because we booked through Vietnam Airlines. We are on a 747-400.

Thank you!
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 05:37 PM

1. While CI's safety record was horrendous in the 80's to early 2000's, there has been no major crash since 2002. There are some recent incidents, but most are not of CI's doing.

2. CI's 747-400s current are all pretty new. I believe oldest was delivered new to CI in 1997. Newest delivered with Boeing's new "Signature" interior (similar to 777's) in 2005. That compares to say NW, where its 747-400s will be celebrating their 20th birthdays soon.

3. I know little about this, but keep in mind that on the 744, some of the most coveted seats are in the very back of the plane, as it is 2-4-2, with the only 2-by-2 seatings.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Dear Rkkwan,
Thank you so much for this insightful email. Can I ask where you got your information for 1 and 2 ? I would like to know a bit more about this. I am glad to hear the fleet of CI's 747s is new. I had heard the planes were old. I wonder what the reasons were for such a horrendous record all the way until 2002 if the planes were on the newer-side.

Would you fly CI, yourself today? Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 03:15 PM

You can find safety record from various websites, including Wikipedia. You can find fleet information and history from planespotters.net.

For most of the accidents they had, age of aircraft has nothing to do with it. The exception was that last major crash in 2002 when an old 747-200 that was retiring broke up over the Taiwan Straits. Other crashes involve newer planes, including one brand-new 747-400 that went into the Victoria Harbor off the old HKG airport.

China Airlines had some fundamental issues. It's a government-owned entity that's heavy with bureaucrats and retired military people. Most pilots at that time were ex-Taiwan airforce. They just didn't have the same attitude and philosophy towards safety as well-run civilian airlines around the world.

As for why their safety record has improved, in my opinion, two reasons. One is that after a series of crashes in the 90's, they consulted Delta and Singapore Airlines to overhaul their safety operations. Second is the rise of EVA, which took away a big chunk of international passengers from CI after those crashes. Competition was a great incentive to get things in order, as even the CI bureaucrats know that if they keep losing customers, their jobs won't be around.

Will I fly CI today? Yes, I will, if they've providing an advantage when it comes to price or schedule or FF miles. But say if I'm flying TPE-HKG and CI and CX have the same fare, then I'll probably go with Cathay.
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 07:19 PM

Their most recent incident was in Aug/2007 when a 737-800 caught fire with 157 passengers aboard. Everyone was evacuated safely.

I have flown them since this incident and they were fine. They usually have better pricing than EVA for the routes I fly.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...mp;refer=japan