Chiang Mai and sokhran

Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Chiang Mai and sokhran

Hi everyone!

We, two families with a total of 7 children ranging from 2-14 years old, will be in Chiang Mai during the festival. We will stay at the Lotus Pang hotel. We'll be there from Sunday through Friday and are wondering just how hectic will this time be? Since tickets are already purchased, we are committed to being there.

Considering the time period, will we have trouble with transportation? Closed wats? Closed zoo? Closed anything?

Has anyone been there during Sokhran? Will we all get soaked non-stop?

I know we will certainly be sweating (males) and shining (females) but is there anything we should know before we go?

Thanks!!
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:44 PM

My family and I enjoy spending the Songkran holiday in Chiang Mai so I think I can tell you what to expect.

The centre of town, around the city moat are will be jam packed with holiday makers spraying each other with water. Traffic around there will be very slow but you can always avoid that area and any good driver will know another way around.

Wats, Zoos, shopping areas, restaurant etc will not be close so no worry about that.

If you are walking around the streets expect to get soak by passing cars, trucks and children on the sidewalk. Enjoy it and don't get offended if someone pour a little water on you.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:14 PM

The festivities will not start until the 12th onward so if you arrive on Sunday 9th April it will be relatively normal then. My friends and I with about 6 children, in the same age group as yours, will be there at the same time so if you need any other tips or recommendation just post it here since I will be online most of time checking up on my businesses.
Mar 4th, 2006, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful! How are you doing your tours? We want to spend a day doing Mae Sa Valley as well as visit the craft villages. Is there a minimum age for riding elephants? (We have a 2 and 4 year old in our party.) We are also interested in going to the Golden Triangle if it isn't exhorbitantly expensive. We also want to see wats and feel the culture.

Any recommendations on tours and prices would be helpful. We don't even know what to expect and are concerned about waiting until we get there to book tours, hire drivers, etc--especially considering it is Songkran.

Would you recommend bringing a stroller?

All help is much appreciated!
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:12 PM

I'm from Bangkok so I don't really go on a "tour" like a tourist from another country would. Here are some of my suggestion that your whole family might enjoy:

1/. Definitely get a private rental van with a driver. Enquire as to what type of "van" will be use since I would stay away from the older minivans like an Isuzu Buddy. Try to get a NEW model Toyota Commuter as it is very roomy and would be nice on longer trips. These new minivans are available so you need to be specific when you enquire.

*Do the reservation now since this will be the peak tourist time in Chiang Mai.

http://www.toyota.co.th/red/th/model...hiace_home.htm

2/. Visit the Night Safari(or night zoo).

http://www.chiangmainightsafari.com/home_en.htm

3/. For a nice temple not too far from town go up(at the peak of a nearby mountain) to the "Doi Suthep" temple.

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...suthep&spell=1

4/. Try a local restaurant by the river like the Good View restaurant. A bit touristy but still good.

http://www.goodview.co.th/

Songkran is a great time to be in Chiang Mai for the festivities but the weather will be hot, hot & hot.

Enjoy your trip!