Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai

Search

Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai

I posted a bit ago about just Chiang Mai, but after reading through more posts, I'm thinking about splitting the days between Mai & Rai (4 nights in each).

1. What is the easiest, most cost-effective way to travel from one to the other?
2. Any suggestions on which city to fly into and start the trip with?

Any other suggestions would be great appreciated. Thanks much!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 09:56 AM

there are many more flights to chiang mai than to mai...and there are many more tourist services in mai than in rai so perhpas it makes sense to start there and work northward....but it also might make sense to fly into one and out of the other....really depends on what you choose to do untimately...

i rented a car at the airport in rai and found the driving very easy, with little or no traffic at all and excellent roads...
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 09:57 AM

always proofread---that is: many more flights to CM than there are to CR
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 11:12 AM

If it were me, I'd fly into CM, then hire a driver to take me to CR and fly out of CR. It's very easy to do, lots of people do it.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 02:58 PM

anothe rpost suggested going via the river in a boat to CR. has anyone done this? do you take a boat from chang mai all the way to chang rai? and how long is this? it sounds exotic.

and i hear the elephant camp in chang rai is beautiful in some beautiful forest - has anyone done this in chang rai or is chang mai fine? we're looking to do a small elephant trek too while we're at it!

thanks!!!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:23 PM

I wouldn't recommend driving yourself between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. Not only does Thailand have one of the worst records for road accidents in Asia, but you might also miss a lot. A car with driver would be better, and a lot easier to do one-way.

In Chiang Rai, or more precisely the Golden Triangle, the Four Seasons is starting to get a lot of buzz. It's a "tented" safari camp, but these tents have all the comforts of home, and then some. Among the activities offered is one-on-one time with your own elephant.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:16 PM

Your comment on the Four Seasons prompted me to remember to write a quick note about the Anantara at teh Golden Triangle. It's a gorgeous place, the rooms are beautiful, it has a great spa, and it has a small branch of the elephant conservation camp on the grounds. You can hang out with the elephants or even do mahout training. It also has a wonderful cooking school!