Cheap, longer term stay choices

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With threat of unemployment looming, a long term stay somewhere, at a low cost, might be an appealing 'bridge' before facing the real world again.

What places would you recommend, cheap, with basic accommodations, an ATM machine, decent weather, and some sites to visit.

Probably looking at a few months...or more... Any visa type issues would also be of interest. Any other things I should think about?

Rough idea of costs?

I've been to Africa, I'm thinking there may be some places in Asia that might fit the bill. Europe not in plans A broad question, but any ideas would help.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 11:47 AM

www.kohtao.com Lotus Resort $14 other places even cheaper

for a beach... airfare is a bit of a budget buster...

3 hours south of FL on spirit.com from $69 each way for me

www.cartagenainfo.net www.casaviena.com

cheap nice beach temps... www.lacasadefelipe,com nearby lots

to see and do... save $1k or more on air if on tight budget.

Happy Hunting!
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Very nice...Lotus. Good starting point.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 01:30 PM

Indonesia would be a good choice, Bali obviously, but Java and many of the other islands as well. The farther afield you go the cheaper it gets.

You can get a 30 day visa on arrival and extend it for 30 days. After 60 days you need to go and come back in again.
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Marmot, I've heard good things about Bali, but have no concept of affordabilty. More research...
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 03:24 AM

Myanmar comes to mind for long term stay. Lonely Planet.com
has a lot more on those with the freedom to do what you are talking about and Myanmar seems to have group that return often for long term.

If not in Asia, Ecuador, Nicaragua, and Guatemala come to mind as good long term inexpensive places to hang out. I have met others doing exactly what you are talking about in each of these countries.

Sounds to me like a great problem to have.
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 03:30 AM

The tourist visa for Myanmar will be a problem, as it is 28 days and not extendable. That means most people who want a long term stay have to do visa runs, with no guarantee they will get the next visa. Also, Burma is no longer as cheap as it once was, indeed, it is hard to find accommodation this high season.
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 09:54 AM

Bali would be a good starting point, the expatriate community there can be helpful with orientation. Once you know the ins and outs, learn a few phases, you can move to the less beaten path. Indonesian language is easy to learn as compared with other languages. You can probably find simple accomodations with relatively good reviews for $25 on the internet. The cheapest ones are the ones not advertised, you'll see signs in coffee shops or come across by word of mouth. Many have stayed with local families and liked the experience including my neighbor who was working on her phd thesis many years ago. I have not stayed in any of them so cannot comment. If you like to dive, water activities or be a beach bum, you are in heaven. One thing to bear in mind is not to get sick or injured, the facility in the hospitals are limited. i think some five years ago, a Balinese told me there is no MRI machine in Bali yet. If you needed repair, you'll have to be airlifted to Singapore which means you will need one or more insurance policies that cover evacuation and doctors and hospitals worldwide. That's something to think about. If you need to be around hospitals, think BKK.
AirAsia is a budget airline (there are others) that flies all over Asia and now even to Paris. Generally speaking the early you book the cheapest it gets.
Good luck with planning.