Cheap Dim Sum in Hong Kong Darling

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, darling. A friend of mine, Antigone Higgins, is travelling to Hong Kong this July. She would like to know the names ofsome good, but cheap, dim sum restaurants. I have been to HK, but can only remember eating in one really great dim sum parlor in Hung Hom.

Your thin and gorjus friend.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:40 PM

i have not found a cheap one but someone will come through with one...usually at least $30 for two...

in the basement of the kowloon hotel there is very good dim sum....it is right behind the peninsula hotel...

many years ago i ate a the largest dim sum rest. i have ever seen....it was on the 4th floor of one of the main business buildings in central...just by the transit stop...someone will come forward with the name....it was not outrageous but very good....eat with 2000 of your favorite people...
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 09:02 PM

Lots of places to have dim sum in Hong Kong, and most are inexpensive. For foreigners, I suggest one of the Maxim's or Jade Gardens (same company). Decent quality, mainstream stuff, and clean/nice restaurants.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 10:16 PM

HK City Hall - cheap and cheerful. Luk Yu Tea House, Stanley Street, Central - in a hurry and often rude waut staff, good dim sum, best gone with a local, Dim Sum restaurant Happy Valley. And for dim sum with a fusion twist - Dragon I, Wyndham Street, booking essential, ask for a balcony table - all you can eat fusion dim sum for HK$128 in HK's tredniest night club setting.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Antigone says, "Cheers, thanks a lot," for all the suggestions. She thinks $30 for two is fine. She just didn't want to pay Peninsula Hotel-type prices.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 12:54 AM

There are many good places for dim sum. A few are below. Can't swear to the US$30 for two, but I think these would be in that range, other than at Dragon-I which would be US$34 for two:

Wan Loong Court Restaurant
Kowloon Hotel
19-21 Nathan Road

Behind the Peninsula Hotel. Popular with tourists and locals. This is the place mentioned by rkkwan above. Good value for money.

Maxim's Palace City Hall Chinese Restaurant
2/F, Low Block
City Hall, Central
Tel: 2521 1303

This restaurant is in the City Hall building, very close to the Star Ferry, and has a nice harbour view. They have carts, and is one of the few places left which uses dim sum carts.

Metropol Restaurant
4th Floor, United Centre
95 Queensway, Admiralty
Tel: 2865 1988
http://www.heichinrou.com

Also has the carts. Good food and good value. No views. It is across the street from Pacific Place Mall and easily reached by MTR or the Tram.

Dragon-I
Upper ground floor,
The Centrium, 60 Wyndham Street
Central
http://www.dragon-i.com.hk/
Tel: 3110 1222
Good dim sum in a quite modern/trendy setting in Hollywood Road, so convenient for sightseeing and antiquing in this area. They have a terrace (no real view other than street views). The have an an all-you-can-eat dim sum lunch for a US $17 a person, but no carts. Otherwise, they have very good Beijing dumplings and pan-fried pickled cabbage with pork mince.

Fook Lam Moon (Cantonese)
35-45 Johnston Road
Wan Chai
Tel: 852-2866-0663
fooklammoon-grp.com

Well-known and very popular in Hong Kong (they also have an outlet in Kowloon). Good for dim sum (they also offer set menu and a la carte Cantonese dishes), as well as for dinner where they have a very large menu selection both set menu and a la carte. Excellent egg tarts and other deserts. This is in a very lively neighborhood near the old (and now virtually non-existent) "Suzy Wong" girlie bar area. It is also in a great area of day and early evening outdoor wet and dry markets which take place in the lanes along Johnston Road between it and Queens Road, esp Stone Nullah Lane, Garden Lane, Cross Street or Tai Wong Street . If you go to these areas between about 5 and 7 pm every day (and all day Saturday) you will see local Hong Kongers buying live fish as well as poultry, meat, vegetables etc on their way home for dinner. Very colorful and interesting markets, much more so than the Temple Street area in Kowloon, IMO which is mostly copy watches and other tourists. This would be a good place for lunch or dinner after some people watching at the markets.

Zen
Pacific Place Mall
88 Queensway
Admiralty
Tel. 852/2845 4555
In a shopping mall at one end of Hong Kong park, not far from the Peak Tram, a good break for lunch. No carts, no view. On the more expensive side.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 06:07 AM

metropol is the place in central that i was referring to....it is delicious and HUGE....very little english spoken there however, but you really don't need it for dim sum....use your eyes as the carts come around
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 03:59 AM

Anyone has known about the average price of Dim Sum per dish in Hong Kong. I have ever eaten the dim sum in Bangkok, the price is about 15-30 baht per dish (about 4 pieces).
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 07:30 PM

Many of the malls have dim sum in the food courts. It is good and not expensive.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 07:45 PM

Tell your friend to try Dragon Noodles & Dumplings on Mody Road, Kowloon side in the Intercontinental Plaza on the ground level. Great dim sum and pretty cheap. Also second the Luk Yu Teahouse but go early as the place really fills up at lunch.
Aloha!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Cheers, thanks. Antigone can hardly wait.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 08:35 AM

There is one Dim Sum at Central. Not very sure what is the name of that teahouse. If you can find a long flight of stairs, climb up the stair, and you will see the tea house - Lian Xiang. I can email you my photo if you want. You got to be there really early, around 8am plus. They are famous for their char siew bun, stew pork belly, soup dumpling.
It is a very traditional tea house and you will definitely see a lot of old people reading newspaper and drinking tea. At first, you will feel awkward and will sit there and wait for them to serve you.. But good food cannot wait. When you see the waitress pushing the trolley, you can step out and grab them before they are gone.