Carol is back in Bangkok!

Old Apr 18th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carol is back in Bangkok!

Sawadee kah, fodorites. It is a bit overcast this morning in Bangkok, and I'm not sure if we will get any rain. I'm sure it's HOT outside. I'm heading out shortly, to get a couple of SIM cards for my two tri-band phones. I'll share one with our German friends, who are arriving in a matter of hours at BKK airport for a 16-day visit (their first time here). I hope DS Brad and I can show them a good time. We will arrange to pick them up at the airport in a van, rather than expecting them to find their way into the city... lol... first timers can have a bit of culture shock here (as I'm sure most of you discovered sometime ago).

Flights were long, but uneventful, and I was able to sleep some. I arrived BKK around 11:15 last night. Once I hit the ground, I got my second wind, which allowed me the energy to walk over to the Pickled Liver and have a cold beer at 1am! DS and Maeng and all the other "usuals" were there and were very welcoming. Nice to be back!

I managed to "sleep in" until 8, when I got up and showered and had breakfast buffet here at Adelphi Suites. The manager and staff remembered me from two months ago and were very happy to see me again. They wondered where DH was this time...

Not much on the agenda today, just trying to stay awake as long as I can, and helping German friends get settled into their apartment here.

I'll be reporting in on a daily basis. Wifi works in my apartment so the laptop will be given a workout.

Carol

Old Apr 18th, 2008, 07:49 PM

glad you arrived safe and sound....have fun and we'll see you at 'pickled liver' or on the 3rd whichever comes first...

and you got out of IL in time to miss the earthquake....
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 07:51 PM

Glad you're back in Bangkok, Carol. Have a great time. And let us know about new finds!
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:01 PM

carol...hanuman is unwilling to fill my orders from the special show going on next week....would you be willing to pick up 500-600 items for me? see his post...
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:02 PM

do you get the sim cards at 7/11?
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:06 PM

Carol
Have a super time, look forward to hearing all about your travels. Wish i was in BKK.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Original Poster

I got my SIM cards at D-TAC at Ploenchit Center. I wanted to get a service that I can KEEP my phone number this time, so I paid more. I'm sure you can get SIM cards at lots of places (not sure about 7-11). I know that I can top up my minutes at any 7-11 though.

Bob, I had two very heavy (50 lb+) bags on my way over, so what's a few hundred gift items... haha

Our German friends arrived at BKK and we are now back at Adelphi. They are getting settled in and DS is off to a pool tournament at Times Square. We will meet him there in a little while. German friends (K and G) seem very happy with their executive apartment here.

The olympic torch is here today. I'm not sure which route it is taking, but it's on CNN right now. There are some protestors but I doubt that there is much "trouble" as it wouldn't be allowed! Traffic should be extra horrid today, I suppose. Thank goodness for the skytrain.

Oh, a note about exchange rates. I looked at the exch counter just outside passport control at BKK and it was 30.65 per dollar last night. I did not exchange as I already had baht left over from my last trip. Instead, I exchanged at VASU (which is right down from soi 11, Sukhumvit) and got 31.30, which is a little bit better. Not great... but I'm not going to let that stop me from having a good time.

Bob, what earthquake are you talking about???????

Carol
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 02:10 AM

Carol, keep up the faithful reporting. Eventually it will be one baht to the dollar. How did Brad do in the pool tourney?

Prompt post, no penalty.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 03:27 AM

wishing I were there. Have fun !!!
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 05:21 AM

Have a great time, Carol! Enjoy your rain shower at the Adelphi Suites-- we loved it!
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 05:32 AM

there was an earthquake in southern IL yesterday.....5.6

your shop roof is still in tact but the rest of your town is now referred to as a 'former town'......just kidding...

have fun.....don't forget to take the germans to GP....
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Andy, thanks for your note about no penalty. There'd better not be one.... !! smile

Bob, I saw the news about the quake. I don't think it got as far as my town. I'm sure the roof is in great shape. (If it isn't, I'm not heading home to fix it...lol)

Note that the olympic torch relay went off without a hitch today in Bangkok. No, we didn't see any of it. Probably best to avoid that traffic and crowd. I think the remnants of it were on the BTS though, around 4pm. VERY crowded skytrain rides!

Tim and Liz, yes yes yes. I also LOVE the rainbath shower at Adelphi. So do my German friends.

Tonight we had dinner at Via Vai. It is immediately across the soi from Adelphi. I know I've mentioned this place before because this was maybe my 5th time to dine there. It's an Italian place. The pizza is really not bad. Our German friends enjoyed it too. And the red Italian wine we had (sorry I didn't write down the label info) was very nice. Six of us ate dinner for about $100, give or take.

Oh... we were walking down soi 8 to go to dinner and ran into an elephant, which we stopped to feed (for 100 baht for several bags of food... sugar cane maybe?)... anyway, where else can you do THAT in the middle of a huge city. Lots of photo ops, which we all enjoyed.

I've managed to stay awake my first day in the city until after 9pm. I'd say I'm doing pretty good. No late night for me tonight ... DS went to play pool again. He did very POORLY in the tourney today, which made him a little grumpy... but we all went to Paragon and enjoyed a look around. Brad wanted to show K the cars they sell there. I showed G some of the nice shops, plus the Jim Thompson store there. I'm sure G and I will do some serious shopping during this two week (+) trip, but first we have to hit MBK!!

I think we'll head to the GP and Watt Pho by river taxi, possibly tomorrow. There are no set plans... just go with the flow! That's my kind of travel.

More tomorrow!
Carol

Old Apr 19th, 2008, 06:48 AM

An earthquake in Needham would be an improvement. Of course nothing there ever registers 5.6. Way too high.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 07:04 AM

hi carol, still raining in bangkok?

you can get a sim card at 7-11.

i affectionately call the guy at vasu the bhat nazi. he dictates, and bullys the nice lady who wanted to give me a better rate.

vasu in convinient and the rates are better than the banks, but less than super rich. if you are changing just a few dollars, then vasu in easy, but if you are changing thousands, then super rich might be worth the trouble.

going to beiruit?

Old Apr 19th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Ken,
No rain in Bangkok yesterday, other than a very brief shower, not worth mentioning, while we were on the way to BKK to pick up friends. Today looks like another hot sticky day... yippee!! At home it's going to be about 55 and rain. DH can't drive his convertible... poor boy...

We are meeting for breakfast buffet in about an hour and half, so I've started a small load of wash. LOVE having the washing machine right at my finger tips. Makes it so easy to stay on top of the laundry. Not to mention, being able to pack much more lightly for a 19-day trip.

Looks like we will plan on Samui from April 28-May 2. Brad has a friend on Samui (another pool player) who has a resort. We're staying there, in beach bungalows. Will report on that place later. The website makes it look pretty good though. Details later. I promise.

MBK today! And then maybe Jim Thompson house since we'll be right in the neighborhood. G is anxious to look at the markets. K & G both are anxious to see Chatuchak. I think that will have to be next Saturday.

Not sure about the gift fair on Monday and Tuesday. I see it's out in the burbs... I make no promises on reporting back on this big event, as we may not make it there. Sorry Bob... We'll have to wait and see.

Have a great evening back on the other side of the dateline.

Carol
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 04:53 PM

so now i have been blown off by two fodors friends....i'll have to ask some street person to go do my errands for me then....

andy, when you're in bkk, will you....
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 02:21 AM

Did everyone note the ex-school teacher using the adverbial phrase "much more lightly"?
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

I'm exhausted! What a busy day! It started with breakfast buffet with German friends (K & G). K asked if we could go to the river since it looked like we might have nice weather (although very hot). I said "yes" as I always enjoy a visit to the river. DS had another pool tournament so he did not join us until dinner time.

K & G and I ended up on a 5 hour tour. Cost was 1200 baht per person, with a guide. We first went into the klongs for a look, then went to Wat Arun, followed by the Grand Palace! After all this sight seeing, we were "taken" to Gems International. This part was NOT mentioned in the schpeel the gal gave us at the tour counter at Saphan Taksin... but I really did not mind (nor did K & G) having a look at the jewelry. We did not buy anything, however.

Back to Adelphi by about 5:30. We went to Pickled Liver for dinner at about 7. DS showed up, as did our friend from Chicago, who is in the city until middle of next week unless he extends his vacation a bit. Maeng cooked pad Thai, garlic shrimp, green curry with chicken, and a vegetable dish in oyster sauce, and of course rice. I did not see the bill but I think K put 2000 baht on the plate (for all of us) and left the change for a tip. Everything was delicious!!!

After dinner and conversation and lots of laughs, until about 10:30, we walked from Pickled Liver down to soi 4 to catch up with DS's friend (a retired navy doctor) who has a fun pub. Lots more laughter and conversation, and then back to Adelphi, where I am now, ready to crash for the night!

I do not know what plans we will make for the daytime tomorrow, but K & G are maybe interested in the floating market and River Kwai sometime next week. We will have dinner w/Chicago friend at the Huntsman. I've mentioned this place before. It is in the basement level of the Landmark Hotel. Good food (not GREAT food, but definitely good) and a fantastic Phillipino girl band. Should be fun.

Andy... I'm RETIRED now, so my writing doesn't have to be perfect anymore... lol

Have a great day, everyone.

Carol
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 10:32 AM

Carol
Glad you are enjoying your visit, will you be having a guide at the Gp? looking forward to hearing about more finds.
Smeagol
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 09:50 AM

Your writing is PERFECT! It is interesting, you actually post as you go, and makes me perfectly jealous of you!

Those Cambrigedians are so picky!!! What would he do in Hawaii with our phrases? Like, "My car more bettah than yours..." >

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -