Search

Canadian Travelling to Phillipines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2023, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian Travelling to Phillipines

Hello!

I am heading to the Phillipines on October 25th, and stupidly didn't research Visa lengths. I am staying for 35 days, and the allowed stay for Canadian's is only 30 days. I can't change my flight and it's too close to the date to send off to the embassy to get a longer Visa.

Has this happened to anyone? Will I be able to extend my visa at the airport? How much will it cost? Will they deny me entry? I am slightly panicking so any advice on how I can not stress about this would be HUGELY appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 04:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors.

Now for the bad news - You almost certainly will be denied boarding your initial flight to the Philipines. Airlines check that you meet the requirements and if your return flight is outside the 30 allowed days they won't let you travel.

You will either have to change your return fight, manage to get a visa (there might be time since you aren't traveling til 6+ weeks from now), or cancel the trip until you do have a visa.
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basically, I agree with the above, if you are to encounter problems, it is most likely that this will be at check in as it is the airlines responsibility to ensure that you have the correct documentation.

here is the link to the UK FCO website entry requirements page. https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...virus-covid-19 It seems pretty draconian and I imagine the requirements are the same for Canadians.

Reading those requirements, it seems extending a tourist visa whilst there may not be that easy. Other than changing your existing ticket, the only thing I can think of is to purchase either a refundable ticket or the cheapest ticket you can find out of the country within the thirty days and worry about extending your visa when you get there. When we went we flew in/out of Malaysia (either KL or Kuching, I can’t recall). Air Asia are the main budget carrier and will have various options.

Depending upon what your plans are, I suppose you could even make it a "genuine" long weekend trip to somewhere in Borneo and apply for a second visa on your return.

Good luck and do come back and let us know how you get on.