Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Can you go to Angkor Wat or India with children?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are very interested in going to Angkor Wat or India this year but we have two very young children (3,1). I've lived in Asia and traveled to many places, so I am not overly paranoid of diseases. THat being said, people have still warned me that it is not safe for children (disease, dirt).

Any thoughts from experts who have been there with children?

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 05:57 PM

of course you can go....children live there afterall...

your doctor can best advise you about disease....dirt not such a problem, imo...

i would select siem reap over india however...although i have not yet been to india, everything i read tells me that SR is cleaner....you just have the malaia issue, but that applies to india as well...
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 03:51 AM

Main problem is that very young children will stick anything in their mouths and are more susceptible to the effects of sun, heat & humidity.

As long as you take care of those things you shouldn't have a problem
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 04:11 AM

I do think that you will have a problem getting around Angkor Wat with two young children. In many of the sites the steps are high and steep and unforgiving of a fall of any type.

I really cannot see you enjoying the experience.

Health issues aside, I think India is more child friendly and if you are used to Asia you should be able to cope with any health problems.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 08:14 AM

an interesting question.
I went to both as a single man.

Angkor was HOT & HUMID, there was lots of climbing and careful navigating over rocks. I can't imagine spending a days with a 1 & 3 year old climbing and walking. I could see them both crying and being fussy within an hour. Of course I don't know your kids

India... I guess it could be a little better. But I am hard pressed to think it would be enjoyable for them and I worry it would pull your experience way down.

A big question for me is on the shots and the anti-malaria pills. Can you give any of that to a 1 or 3 year old? When could you start?

This is big for me. My wife and I are planning to start a family this year. We took a big trip to Africa last year, figuring that exotic international travel will be done for close to 10 years or so.

I can see taking a 10 year old to Angkor, India, Thailand, but not 1 or 3
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Hi sc2h - I am very interested in your post. We are taking a 2 year old to Thailand this year but decided not to go to Angkor Wat because of the malaria issue. We did consider it carefully as we really wanted to visit it, but decided that it was not a trip that she would enjoy, two more flights to endure as were in Thailand the rest of our trip etc. Also, didn't want her to take such strong drugs (the anti-malarials I mean) at her age and didn't want the risk of malaria either (I've had it, it is horrendous). (Wish to add - I think this decision is v personal and for parents to make. Our daughter was v ill when she was small and had a lot of medication in her first year. Whilst she is strong now, I think she's had enough drugs for a while!)

However, in the UK at least, you can get Malarone for children weighing from 11kg upwards.

http://www.travelhealth.co.uk/diseas...e_for_kids.htm

There is a post on this board from a woman who has just travelled to India with her children, I think she said they were 2 and 5. You may want to look out for that.

I would recommend 2 other places to go for advice on the topic of travelling with children.

1) Lonely Planet Kids To Go board: It is by far and away the best site for advice on taking children (and toddlers/babies) abroad (including Asia) and can be found at: http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ca...s.cfm?catid=37. There are a good number of people with extensive experience of undertaking a trip such as the one you are proposing and, having done it themselves, can give you a realistic and informed opinion on the merits of such a trip and excellent planning advice. The board is not specific to Asia so you will find experience there of lots of different countries with kids.

2) Dea Birketts Travelling with Kids forum - http://www.deabirkett.com/.

Hope this helps - v interested to hear where you decide to go and how you find it.
BB
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 02:56 PM

I don't think you will enjoy Siem Reap as I agree with waynehazle - it is likely to be impossible to push a pram in many of the temple comlexes which are not smooth and carrying them will be uncomfortable plus risky as it is not always an easy walk. I disagree about India tho - there are loads of places you can go where you will be fine with kids. For starters you could do Delhi, Agra and Goa. Fly into Delhi, from there by train or car to Agra, see the Taj, to Goa for a few days. Cars with drivers to picky ou up at every stop can be arranged in advance and are cheap so your transfers will be minimal problem.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 04:23 AM

I've recently come back from Cambodia, and whilst we were in Siem Reap and Angkor, I saw quite a number of people on holiday with small children. So many so I was quite shocked!
As adults we had some difficulties with some of the large steps, perhaps we were in fear of falling more! There are ways around some of the temples avoiding some of the big steps, but this isn't always, or generally the case.
In terms of physical difficulties, I'd say it was easier with a 1yr old as you might be able to put them on your back, but i doubt that it likely with a 3yr old!
That's before you get on to the heat and malaria issues. there are meds that are ok for children to take though, and in terms of medical care, children are much better off than adults in Siem Reap!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 05:08 PM

I gave my daughter malaria pills when she travelled to India at 1. You have to start 2 weeks before the trip and continue for 4 weeks after. Side effects are rare.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:42 PM

memee, there are a number of different anti-malarial medications. Only a couple are aappropriate for children. Each medication has it's own schedule for taking it. So while I don't know which medication you used, I'm glad your daughter had no problems with it.