Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Can we do Hong Kong and Beaches in the same trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 04:10 PM
Kelly

He wants the city; she wants the beach. If flying into and staying in Hong Kong for a week, where would be convenient resort destinations within a reasonable flight of Hong Kong. Southern Thailand? Other hidden jewels?

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 07:03 PM
xxx

The Phillipines is the closest and the cheapest. You can also check Vietnam, Indonesia. Good luck.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 07:44 PM
Kathie

Thailand and Malaysia both have lovely beaches. You have lots of options! Indonesia (Bali) is a nice destination, but farther away than the others suggested.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:55 AM
Margo

Bangkok is a couple of hours away and you can taxi from the airport direct to Pattaya or Cha Am or Hua Hin. The route is 'very' competative with something like 12-15 Jumbos on the route from maybe 5-6 airlines, so the fares are cheap. You can leave Hong Kong around 5 pm and be at the beach that night. I do not know the site but one of the biggest operators from Hong Kong is 'Wingon Travel', another is 'Tiglion', if you search on Google or Gigablast I am sure you will find their sites, they do all Asia by the way. Drangonair operates direct to Phuket, about 3hrs 40 minutes too.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 12:52 PM
Sue

Dear Kelly:<BR><BR>I have made that Hong Kong to Thailand trip five times. If you haven't been to Bangkok, it is worth a day or two layover. It is a very different city than Hong Kong. Then onto Phuket, Koh Samui, where ever. Depending on the time of year, your better choices of beach resorts can book up well in advance. I always plan that aspect first then work on my air tickets and have never had a problem. I usually book my round trip airfare to Bangkok packaged with a couple nights in a five star hotel through a Hong Kong travel agency. You do have to pay up front but the deals make it worth it.<BR>I personally would avoid the Phillipines. I understand the beaches are nicer in Thailand than Indonesia. I am looking at Vietnam (the Ana Mandara resort) myself for next year.<BR>Good Luck.<BR><BR>