Can I Get My Own Vietnam Visa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My tour company sent me a packet to get a visa for a Nov 09 trip to Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and advised me to use PVS International. They charge $40/pp as their service charge for the Vietnam visa plus the $65 visa fee and then $25 for mailing fee (one per household no matter how many visas they do). I could save the $40 if I can do it myself but I am nervous about it. Are there folks out there who have gotten their visas directly from the embassy themselves? I need one for myself and my husband. I also need a visa for Cambodia and PVS charges $70 for that. I understand I can get that at the airport upon arrival but will we encounter long lines or waits? Thanks for your input!
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 04:19 PM

Yes, you can easily get your VN visa. Lots of us here have gotten a visa from the nearest embassy or consulate. Enclose an express mail or priority mail envelope when you send in your passport and visa application.

You can get your Cambodian visa on arrival. The lines aren't terribly long. Do make sure you pay just the visa fee. There have been recent reports of immigration trying to extract additional money... just pretend you don't understand. See a recent thread about this.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 04:46 PM

Yes, you can do it yourself.
You have 2 options;
The first, as Kathie said above, is to mail your passports to the embassay.
The second option is to do what's called a pre-arranged visa, also known as "visa on arrival." We did this and had no problems. You can arrange it all via email before you go.
I also think you should wait and get your Cambodian visa on arrival as I think $70 is quite steep for that.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 05:52 PM

The Cambodia visa at the airport is only $20. So definatrly get it when you arrive
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 07:20 PM

the only warning i might have about waiting in line for the visa on arrival is that the bus may want to leave with the others in your group...

i did my own VN visa and the turnaround time was about 2 weeks....i did the same for cambodia i think.....i sent them either to DC or to NYC....if you live near to those places and maybe chicago and LA too you can go in person and get one....read the embassy sites for info....you need passport pics....and lots of paperwork....i hate to pay the fees as shown above....i just did a russian visa and it was a snap....sent it via fedex with a return fedex label for the return....turn around less than 14 days...
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 04:33 AM

QUOTE:
"My tour company sent me a packet to get a visa for a Nov 09 trip to Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and advised me to use PVS International."

NOTE that all tourists exploring VietNam WITH A TOUR get FREE visas until 2009 DEC 31.

Others still get to pay.

IF you are charged as part of a tour you are getting RIPPED as this scheme has run since the beginning of 2009.
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 09:15 AM

If you get the visa upon arrival, don't forget to bring along a passport picture for when you get to VN. My husband didn't realize he had to bring one and they gave him a hard time but eventually they took a picture of him and he paid $2. But the hassle factor was high.
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 04:50 PM

Yes, no problem. I used Priority Mail, IIRC, and got my pp back in a week.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:01 AM

I can't figure out how much money to send in for a Vietnamese Visa when I apply directly to the consulate. One web site says there is a $19.99 fee and a $25 "stamping" fee. The application only mentions paying $50 for "international shipping." Does anyone know how much to send to the consulate with your passport to receive a Visa?

Thanks.

Roosevelt.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:05 AM

I found the answer from another site. The cost is $65 per person.

Roosevelt.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:51 AM

Great, roosevelt, glad you found the answer. $65 is what we paid several years ago. The consulate in San Francisco was very quick for us and others have reported that the embassy in Washington DC was fast as well.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 05:50 PM

To avoid any problems, I suggest you call the embassy or consulate to check on the price. I did this and they quickly told me how much money the visa would cost. You don't want to send in your materials only to find that you did not send the right amount of money. As others have said, it took about a week to get my passport with visa back.