Search

camera safety

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 05:31 PM
surfergrrl

camera safety

What have your experiences been with bringing a camera to Saigon? I'm thinking of bringing my SLR with a couple lenses, worth some $$$ - but most is in the value of really liking my camera & accessories. I've always travelled with the theory that I only bring what I'm willing to lose. But this time...hmmm, I'd really like to bring it. If anyone has anything the share, that would be great - many of the guidebooks are pretty doom & gloom, warning of snatch & grab bikes & the like... opinions? experiences?

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 01:21 AM
Ursula

I wouldn't worry too much about bringing your camera along. As long as you watch it, I don't think you need to worry. <BR>I did not feel unsafe in Saigon. Of course, in crowded places like the huge Chinese market (name escapes me right now, sorry) in Cholon, you might want to be especially alert.<BR><BR>When you walk on the sidewalks, carry your camera and belongings on the shoulder on the better side, i.e. NOT street side.<BR>When you use public transportation, be careful. <BR>Also, when using a cyclo which is a lot of fun.<BR><BR>Have fun and enjoy Vietnam. It's a great and interesting country to visit.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 09:51 AM
greg

Although I have not been to Saigon, I have been to ther SE Asian big cities. Here is my thought on the subject. The camera is lower in the order of things to be stolen, unlike cash and CC, it needs to be sold to a secondary market to make it worthwhile. Even so, I separate the exposed films from the camera so that I can minimize the collateral damages. Nobody is interested in my exposed films, so least I can do is to prevent losing them even if the camera is gone.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 12:26 AM
jeanine

go to vietnam and enjoy the country<BR>I have just spent 3 weeks there with not trouble at all. I was also worried before leaving because of all warnings etc, the country is very safe and Saigon is a kind of western city where you can meet any kind of &quot;happenings&quot; as any where else. I have my camera in its bag carried across my chest and no trouble. some money in the pocket and the rest in the inner pocket of my trousers. <BR>have fun<BR>jeanine

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 03:57 AM
xx

I am currently in Hanoi and had my SLR stolen the day I arrived, 4 days ago!!!<BR>You will have to watch your camera like a hawk! As a backpacker, I have heard all of the possible scenarios from the other travellers around. Also Hanoi shops are full of other stolen SLRs, one of which I was reduced to buying to replace my own stolen one for this triop - I dont doubt that mine will be in one of the windows within the next 2 weeks.<BR>Saigon is supposedly worse for this kind of thing.<BR>Just my experience!