Search

Cambodia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cambodia

Hi all,
Planning a trip to Cambodia next February, does one need to use u.s. dollars there or can the local currency be used for meals, drinks , budget accommodation and stuff like that please. Also looking for cheap but good and clean guest houses in Siem Reap,Phonm penh, and sihanoakville, and is there anywhere else in Cambodia I should consider visiting? Is the local beer up to scratch?.All help is much appreciated. thanks
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 05:41 AM

While many places will accept US dollars, you should ALWAYS use local currency - otherwise you'll typically end up paying far, far more than you would if you pay in the local currency. Most things are SO cheap - food, drinks, souveniers, etc., and you'll get a much better deal if you pay with local money.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:53 AM

Most places would prefer US dollars. Indeed, you'll need US$ for the visa ($29), for the temples pass at Angkor ($20 for one day, $40 for three days, $60 for a week). Most guesthouses are priced in US$. For water at the temples, purchases in the market, etc, you'll generally pay less in riel. But my experience in Cambodia was that people really wanted US$ (unlike many other places where they'll take US$ and charge you more).
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:06 AM

Oops! My typing is bad. The visa is, of course, US$20.

And use any riel you have before you leave Cambodia as they are worthless elsewhere. They cannot be exchanged for other currency outside of Cambodia. I gave all mine to the land-mine vicitm beggars in town.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 09:50 AM

Everything Kathie says is true. In addition, take lots of single dollar bills and make sure they are in decent condition. We changed about US$5 every day into riel to use for "beggar money".

There are a lot of inexpensive guest houses -- try a search on this site. Enjoy -- it's a fantastic place!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 11:31 AM

Pay in US dollars. Things are so cheap it really doesn't matter that you are overcharged 30 cents because you didn't pay in riels. Even when you try and change money at your hotel you will be told not to bother if you are using dollars. Many restaurants post prices both in riel and dollars and I did not meet one merchant who wanted riels. I had a delicious meal at the Siem Reap Restaurant, but I don't know the address. It was "open" (no walls) with little white Christmas lights wrapped around its pillars. I highly recommend it.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 06:00 PM

i took all denominations of american money to siem reap last year...i used $1's and $5's most often, but mostly $1's...20's, 50's and 100's are good for hotels, guides, etc, but i used few of them....you will be given change in dollars and some riel...

the money is a pain to have prior to your arrival as you can't leave it in your room (not even in the safe, in my opinion)...we alsways got a safe at the front desk....its quite a wad when you look at it....and a pain...you must bring that money from home....you can't get it in say bangkok....

la noria is a great restaurant and some have commented on its guest house as well....

red piano is a good restaurant and bar and recently someone said the rooms have a/c, which is mandatory and have mostly been redone ....

hotels and airfare our much more expensive than they should be but everything else is dirt cheap....
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 06:08 PM

Yes, trammie, that is one important thing you need to know: there are no ATM's in Cambodia (at least not last I heard of). We used our credit card for our hotel and meals when possible, conserving our cash for tips, paying our driver and buying things in the market, etc.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 07:22 PM

Was just in Cambodia in February and the only currency I saw used was US currency. In fact, out guide told us that the locals also use US currency as the own currency. Also, if your are not getting your visa ahead of time, make sure you take a passport sized photo with you. They will ask for it at the Siem Reap airport before they issue your visa. We did not have photos with us and luckly the guard asked us for 5 dollars each (I think he actually put it in his pocket, but who cares he gave us our visa) and it wasn't a problem. I don't know if this is standard practice or if we just got really lucky. Anyway, you will have a great time. Angkor Wat and all the surrounding temples are amazing!
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

I thank you all for your advise, it is very much appreciated.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 11:11 PM

A reliable guesthouse in Siem Reap is Villa Marina (see http://www.travel-cambodia.com/) run by Ly Ponheary, who is also one of the best guides in Siem Reap. Two years I recommended her on this very site, and many people have reported their satisfaction with her and her guesthouse.

I'm staying there in two weeks, and will let you know if anything has changed.