Calling Cicerone!

Search

Calling Cicerone!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling Cicerone!

I have been in touch with Mr Kishore re. car in Chennai for 18th March. I emailed twice and got no reply, then I phoned him and he said call back tomorrow. I called back the following day and he sounded a bit annoyed that I had his number and wanted to know where did I get his number from. I found it hard to understand the conversation really! My hearing is not great at the best of times!
I told him what we wanted and where we wanted picking up and he said to email him.I have emailed him twice since then but there has been no reply as yet.
Not sure what to do next!
I'm not sure now if there will be a car waiting on the dockside for us or not on the 18th!
Do you think I should just leave it at that?
Maybe they are very laid back about things - unlike us Brits!
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:43 AM

Sorry to hear about the confusion. I would not worry overly much about the apparent lack of communication. It may not have occurred to Mr. Kishore to send a response, he will simply be at the pier as planned. Also, there was a fairly important Hindu festival celebrated last Friday (maha shivaratri), and he may not have been working on, before or after that day. There may be some other special festival being currently celebrated in Mr. Kishore’s religion, and he is not working, or he may be at a wedding or other celebration. Work is not always the priority. Finally, there may be a power failure in his neighborhood in Chennai that has prevented his responding. (This has happened to me on more occasions than you would want to know.)

I can also understand that a mobile phone discussion with a rapidly-speaking Indian may have been difficult; I am from New York where we speak really quickly, and I find it hard to follow sometimes...

In any event, I can ask my colleague in India to try to get a call into Mr Kishore. My slight hesitation to bother my colleague is that he is currently tending his mother who has just been diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer and is in the hospital. (With this convoluted tale, I am actually BECOMING Indian myself, can’t you see??) I am happy to do it, but would like to give Mr. Kishore a bit more time to respond on his own if you don’t mind. If you don’t hear back from Mr. Kishore by then, can you repost with the ship’s name, arrival date and time and your surname. If you don’t feel comfortable giving that info, let me know and I can give you an e-mail address to send it to.

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:46 AM

Sorry, meant to say that if you don't hear back from Mr Kishore by the end of this month, can you re-post.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the speedy reply! Don't bother your colleague.
We only fly out next Thursday morning (to our favourite place Hong Kong)so that gives Mr Kishore a lot of (Indian) time!!!
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Mr Kishore has emailed so all is well!
Thanks for all your help.