Busan, South Korea - Temple Questions

Old Mar 28th, 2019, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Busan, South Korea - Temple Questions

Iím taking a cruise that circumnavigates Japan, including a one day stop in Busan. I like to explore ports on my own, so Iíve done lots of research on this site, other web sites and paper guide books and have identified the Haedong Yonggungsa Temple and Beomeosa Temple as the places I want to visit in Busan. Iíve read guidance on how to use the subway to get to both locations (I donít mind a 20 minute walk from the subway to the temple). But, I canít figure out which one to visit first, and then the best way to get to the other temple (maybe itís a simple as walking back to the subway). Since Fodorites are such great resources, I would appreciate any suggestions. (Weíre in port from 7:00 Ė 5:00 but Iím not sure how early I can get off the ship Ė by 9:00 for sure, I hope!) Thank you!

Old Mar 28th, 2019, 06:16 PM
kja

I'm sure you realize that Beomeosa and Yonggungsa are some distance apart -- more than 2 hours, I believe. When I went to South Korea I found google maps surprisingly accurate with public transportation routes and transfers, but I always need more time than it estimated because I had to orient myself at each station.

IMO, each of these temples is nice. Tongdosa is exceptional. If you haven't already considered it, you might give some thought to going there instead.

And if you haven't already seen it, you might find some useful information in my trip report. The section on Busan begins with post # 69.
4 wonderful solo weeks in South Korea
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Kja - i looked at maps but didnít realize how far apart the two temples are so thank you for clarifying that! Based on that, Iíll only go to one. Will read your TR tomorrow-itís chock full of info - and look into Tongdosa as an alternative.

Last edited by vickiebypass; Mar 28th, 2019 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 07:35 PM
kja

Don't hesitate to let me know if you have questions.
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 12:57 PM

Have you ben to Korea before? Korean temples are okay, but many are reconstructions or have been ransacked by the Japanese so that there's not much to see inside. Younggusa is indeed a rare (for Korea) seaside temple. Seokbusa is a rare temple carved into a cliff. But that means an uphill hike.

Busan is an amazing city. and the port area, fish market, and the raw fish street are all something to see. Connected to all that is an enormous expanse of old markets that seem to go on and on. You could also take a taxi anywhere if you want to get around quicker. Busan is very spread out and can take a long time to cross, even by subway.
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Shelemm - thanks for your thoughts. This will be my first time in Korea, and you're right, I didn't realize how large Busan is and underestimated the time to get from point to point. If I'm tired or "templed out" after almost two weeks in Japan, I may decide to wander the port area, markets and people watch instead of trekking to a temple.
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 06:38 AM

Here is a tourist map of Busan, just to give you an idea of what you are in for. You can zoom in on any area. As you can see from the map, the mountains plunge all the way to the sea. The three nights we spent there were way too little, and it is that rare beautiful Korean city.

I don't mean to discourage you from seeing yonggung temple, the location and the surrounding cultural features make it a spectacular site.

http://lookatkorea.com/blog/wp-conte...ourist_map.jpg