Search

Burma - Must Sees and Dos

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:11 AM
CFW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burma - Must Sees and Dos

Just beginning our plans for trip to Burma in February. For now our plans are to spend time in Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan, Inle Lake, & Ngapali at the end to relax at the beach before returning home. Any suggestions for things to see and do that we shouldn't miss in these or other areas? We like to experience the culture and "feel" of places we visit in addition to seeing the sites. Also, what about restaurants(we always travel with our tummies!) and shopping for crafts - lacquer, woodcarvings, unique items?
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 05:37 AM

carol...one wonderful restaurant in yangon is L'Opera....its slightly out of town in a nice residential neighborhood...italian...owner is italian and burmese wife....cousin of rest. on soi 39? in bkk....

on 13th street there is a great laq. ware shop....also the elephant house store is fantastic...they have an in town shop---a whole house really and then outside of town a workshop which is fantastic....you can see stuff being made there as well..

we took a side trip out to bago and went to a wat where you watch 1000 monks file in for their lunch and then sit silently as they eat...very interesting...
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 06:23 AM

I just ttt a post I did about Rangoon that should give you some ideas about things that you can do there that will get you in touch with the people and the way they live.

I would strongly urge you to spend some time in the Shan State -- maybe Kalaw-- to get more of a sense of the culture and "feel". Inle Lake is fabulous -- stay as long as possible. For me, outside of the Shwedagon, the temples are not nearly as interesting as other asian countries. Bagan is wonderful but is an archeological site -- no people. I spent one very long day there and thought it was enough.But I'm more a people, culture, market person than a temple person.

You can get wonderful glass objects at the glass factory outside of Rangoon. I'm not a fan of the lacquerware but it is everywhere. I did buy some lovely water colors and some wood puppets. Please be sure to buy from local people -- not from government stores-- and read carefully what you can take out of the country.

Also, I highly recommend Gracious Myanmar for organizing the trip and Nyi Nyi is a joy as a guide.

Don't take the tourist boat -- you'll learn nothing about the country. But the public ferry from Mandalay to Bagan was an experience I will never forget.

Another must see in Rangoon is the war cemetary. Very moving.

How many days are you planning on being there?
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 09:09 AM

i forgot the glass factory...wonderful place to visit...very rustic and unbelievably cheap....we bought individual butter molds there which are fun to use for dinner parties....we were the only people there....it really is right in the city...
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 04:45 PM
CFW
Original Poster

We will have a total of 2 weeks in Burma. We're thinking about day trips to Pindaya or Kalaw from Inle Lake. Are these places worthwhile given our limited time at the Lake? If so, Which one of the the two to choose? Also, thinking about Pyin oo Lwin (May Mo) as a day trip from Mandalay. Anyone been there who can tell us what you think?
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:56 PM
jat

Gloria, do you have specific recommendations for the Kalaw and Inle Lake areas? I also am planning a trip to Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan, and Inle Lake, and would appreciate any advice/suggestions for things to do and places to see. My interests are in the people and the culture, and not so much in shopping. Any advice regarding how much money per day to bring for meals, entrance fees, and incidental expenses?
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 07:42 AM
ccc

Kalaw is one of the trekking centers in Burma. To the extent you are interested in the people, it might be fun to arrange a trek. I think you can actually do a trek - not certain how long it takes - from Kalaw to Inle Lake.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 12:16 PM
CFW
Original Poster

Is Kalaw worthwhile if we are not doing trekking? How much time should we allow for Inle Lake and how should we spend our time there?
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 03:12 PM

I do not do treking and I spent two wonderful days in Kalaw and another day in Pindaya. One day we spent in a village where they see at most a couple of westerners a year. We spent much of the day there -- Nyi Nyi arranged it and the sister of the person at the reception desk at our hotel served as interpreter since they don't speak Burmese and she teaches them. We were originally booked to go to a village that looked to be the same one everyone goes to when they are in the area and we didn't want to do that. In Pindaya we went to a village festival, several markets and ended up in someone's home. I remember those days a lot more than I remember the temples at Bagan.

Roads are bad and even if distances don't seem far they take a long time. I would not do Kalaw or Pindaya as a day trip but I would try to go.

Mayamo is ok -- nice caves but I don't think it's a must see if you only have two weeks. It is a big military headquarters as well. I much prefer the Shan States.And if your interest is culture and people you will too as long as you have a guide who knows how to forget the planned itinerary, listen to you and get off the beaten path.