bullet train from narita

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 08:59 AM
jim

bullet train from narita

we will be arriving at narita in oct. is there a direct bullet train to osaka. if so, how long will it take and what is the cost.

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 11:28 AM
Steve Mueller

Ask the Smashing Pumpkins, they recorded a song called "Bullet Train to Osaka." <BR> <BR>Seriously, I don't think there are any bullet trains out of Narita. You'll have to take the Narita Express into Tokyo and catch a bullet train there. I don't know about costs, but Japan Rail has a website. Try an internet search.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 01:31 AM
Florence

http://www.jnto.go.jp/db/traffic/ <BR> <BR>will help you plan your train schedule. <BR> <BR>As Steve pointed out, there is no direct connection from Narita to Osaka. You'll have to take the Narita express to Tokyo station and board a bullet train (Shinkansen) to Osaka (3 h 19 by Hikari). Changing platforms in Tokyo station is easy unless you have really heavy luggage ... <BR> <BR>Once in Narita, exchange your Railway pass voucher for the Pass and make your train reservation at the same time. Then go next door to the Tourist Information Center and ask for any information on current events, free maps, etc. you need. <BR> <BR>Have a good time.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 11:00 PM
Rick

Florence is right on the money on this one!!

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 01:35 AM
Florence

Thanks Rick, <BR> <BR>I've been testing all the possibilities (not the taxi, too expensive) from and to Narita, the TCAT bus leaves you in an unconvenient area, and/or takes for ever downtown. The two best bets are the Narita express to Tokyo or Shinjuku, and de Keisei Skyliner to Ueno, or Nippori if you want to change to the Yamanote line for Ikebukuro or Shinjuku.

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 08:08 AM
Rich

If you are going from Narita to Osaka you will want to use the Narita Express and change in Tokyo, exactly as Florence said. The entire trip can be done on the rail pass. When we made the trip (but to Kyoto), the rail pass cost just about the same as a round trip ticket from Tokyo to Kyoto, so you get the trip to and from Narita essentially for nothing; otherwise it costs about $20, as I recall. <BR> <BR>We were concerned about transfers at Tokyo because we had heavy luggage (we were going on to China for several weeks), and the guidebooks say that there are no elevators between the floors. (I think there are 5 levels.) This is not true - we always found an elevator at one end of the platform - although you may have to change elevators since they don't cover all floors. <BR> <BR>Be aware that while the Narita Express has room for big luggage, the bullet train doesn't at all. We actually left most of our luggage at a hotel in Tokyo and only carried what we needed in Kyoto etc. <BR> <BR>It's a great trip. You'll love it. <BR>