Brief trip to Rajasthan, feasability

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2016, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip to India this fall, likely mid November. Unfortunately due to work constraints do not have a lot of time but for family reasons do not want to put this off much longer. We will have 8 days on the ground in India, flying into and out of Delhi.

I am thinking arrive Delhi, spend 1 day, fly to Udipur, 3 nights, fly to Jaipur, 2 nights, private car to Agra 1 night then Delhi 1 night, fly home.

My partner's family will be meeting us in Udipur from Ahmedebad so that part has to stay. I know this is a fair bit of our (brief) vacation spent traveling between locations, anything you would change?
Old Jun 9th, 2016, 08:10 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
My favorite city in India is Jodhpur. I've stayed in 3 places there, twice in palaces and last time in a very modest guest house with a rooftop terrace in the old city beneath the fort. Sitting on the roof at night having drinks & dinner with the fort lit above and life going on in the lanes below - nothing like it. I sleep every night in a bed I bought there, the city famous for places to buy antique furniture.

All the cities you mention have their charms but do consider Jodhpur.
Old Jun 10th, 2016, 02:00 PM

I would skip Jaipur and spend those days in Delhi. There is plenty to see there for those two days.
Old Jun 10th, 2016, 02:36 PM

If timing works out, you are better off arriving in Delhi and flying directly to udiapur rather than going into Delhi for one day. I also thought Jodpur was charming and that you should easily devote at least two days in Delhi.
Old Jun 10th, 2016, 07:15 PM

Agree with Jacketwatch: since you have on limited time, skip Jaipur (overrated, imho) and use the time in Delhi ...or Jodhpur ( I've not yet been, but it's on the "some day" list).
If you see this Mme P, would you mind sharing the name of your guest house in Jodhpur??
Old Jun 10th, 2016, 07:47 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
This is the one though it was about 10 years ago, right after they opened, and it looks about 1000% better than before. The owners, a young couple, were lovely and I enjoyed staying with them very much. It's come a long way and I'm glad for them as they worked very hard to please. There are lots more pictures on TA to get a better idea.

http://www.shahiguesthouse.net
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 08:34 PM

Thank you for this, Madame Perdu--from me, as well as other on behalf future Jodhpur Fodorites!
Old Jun 12th, 2016, 10:37 AM

Jodhpur has the best fort in Rajasthan! The fort has an elevator if visitors don't want to walk to the top. We stayed at Ratan Vilas and enjoyed it.

Udaipur is lovely, but three nights spent exclusively there might be too much for me. Make sure beforehand that there is water in the lakes when you visit. The Jain temple at Ranakpur is about an hour away and well worth the drive. Kumbelgarh Fort is also in the vicinity and hardly ever visited.

Although there are many destinations in Delhi, I enjoy Jaipur much more.

Ramesh Meena at indiabycaranddriver.com is based in Jaipur and is an excellent resource.
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 04:33 AM

Hey, As you said that Udaipur is on the list for some reason than it would be better to spent more time in Udaipur and its nearby attraction rather than 2 nights in Jaipur, as there is no doubts that Jaipur is insainly very beautiful but with limited time jumping from places to places does not seems like a good idea.
Rest itinerary of yours seems good, and visiting Agra by road is good choice as it is only a 3-4 hour drive and more over you could hire a taxi from Delhi to Agra than to Delhi, and to fly back.
Great and very happening weekend to you and your family. Thanks.